Neck Pain - Trap Pain- Headaches

Original Post
Leilagwen · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 10

Maybe I'm just here for solidarity. 

But. 

For the past year, about 50% of the time after I climb, I get headaches starting at the base of my skull and a stiff neck. I went to the doctor and the nurse practitioner said it was a concussion (which it was not). When I described neck pain she said "hm, that IS strange" and proceeded to not even touch my neck or examine anything. ANYHOW: I'm wondering if anyone else has ever had problems with this? I've started doing exercises to strengthen my shoulders/traps on both sides since I know I always pull harder with the right side (which is the side that hurts). I've also started some ROM and strengthening neck exercises which have helped break up any stiffness in the neck. However, I still get the headaches after climbing and they generally start after I've been really cranking on something pretty hard. 

Seeing a chiropractor next week, but thought I'd shoot this out into the climbing community and see what ya'll had to say.

ChiIImatic · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 5

I had similar symptoms along with some aches in my shoulder, after doing some homework i asked my massage therapist to test me for thoracic outlet syndrome. He found that my issues where in my scalenes and subclavius. what you believe is trap pain is likely pain from your levator scapulae. 

Good luck!

jmmlol · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 0

You could have a dislocated rib. 

Lee Green · · Edmonton, Alberta · Joined Nov 2011 · Points: 50

I'm surprised your doc and NP didn't get this. Trapezius strain is a classic cause of headache. It's well known among birdwatchers, for example (they spend a lot of time in the same position you do belaying). Not terribly hard to work with, just find a doc who knows what it is.

Drew Courtney · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 0

I would recommend you go see a PT; they can do some great things for neck pain and headaches. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply