Worth to Resole?

Original Post
ClimbingNewb · · Canyon Country · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 265

I originally started climbing using La Sportiva Tarantulace. I now have a pair of scarpa's and 5.10s. The tarantulace is a decent shoe and maybe im emotionally attached.   

Is it worth resoling a tarantulace? Or should I just toss them. 

Andrew Krajnik · · Plainfield, IL · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 253

A resole would cost a fair portion of what you'd pay for a new pair (for example, Rock and Resole charges $36, plus $10 shipping, and you have to pay to ship to them)... that being said, if you resole them, you can get much stickier rubber than a new pair would have, improving the performance of a very comfortable shoe. It's your money, do what you want.

ClimbingNewb · · Canyon Country · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 265

Thanks. I was thinking of C4 rubber which I really like from my 5.10s

Lena chita · · Cleveland, OH · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 240
ClimbingNewb wrote:

I originally started climbing using La Sportiva Tarantulace. I now have a pair of scarpa's and 5.10s. The tarantulace is a decent shoe and maybe im emotionally attached.   

Is it worth resoling a tarantulace? Or should I just toss them. 

It's worth trying at least once. Having said that, I do not resole my Testarossa's, they just never seem to recapture the shape of the shoe after resole, even the resolers that are specifically recommended by La Sportiva as having the La Sportiva forms. But other shoes I've had good luck with resoling.

Btw, I just happened to see that tarantulace are on sale right now on Gear Express, for $60. So that comes close to the price you'd pay for resoling. You might want to check if they have your size.

AndrewArroz · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 10

If you're emotionally attached just wear them around the house as slippers and loan them to friends who are new climbers. 

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 190

Yeah, I don't see a point in resoling a cheap shoe that costs about the same as the resole

Noah Yetter · · Lakewood, CO · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 105

If you like them, it's absolutely worth it. Spending $40 to put C4 on them will make them better than a new pair.

Emmett Lyman · · Somerville, MA · Joined Feb 2011 · Points: 355

Shoes break in over time, especially unlined leather ones like yours. If you struggle with fit out of the box, resoling an old pair that's already stretched to fit your feet can make a ton of sense. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply