"Visualization" for people with auditory learning systems

Original Post
Lee Durbetaki · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 5

This isn't necessarily specific to climbing, but rather prompted by reading an article about training for climbing.

Self test to see if this thread will be relevant to you:

Think of an apple.

Is it red or green?

If you had a ready answer to that question, you have a visual learning system (not the same as a learning style) and no need for this thread. You can make pictures with your mind. You can visualize things. 

If that question brought you up short, you have an auditory learning system. When asked to think of an apple, you could not create a picture in your mind of an actual apple, but were mentally preparing to answer whatever question about apples came next. When asked for the color you probably struggled to choose. You may have wondered why it mattered whether the hypothetical apple was green or red, and why that was significant, and therefore which color you should select in anticipation of another question.

If you have an auditory learning system, you cannot create pictures in your mind. There is nothing you can "see" when you close your eyes. If you want to recall specific details about how something looks, you probably have to narrate a description to yourself.

If you have an auditory learning system, you know what I'm talking about. I think I was 20 when I realized that "mental picture" wasn't a metaphor, and that other people could actually make these.

Plenty of research and advice literature discusses the utility of visualization in training and performance. From my reading, this literature presumes a visual learning system. For those of us with auditory learning systems, can we do anything equivalent? Does narrating success or a sequence of moves do for us what visualization does people who can visualize? Are there other techniques we can employ?

I would be very interested to hear what other climbers have learned from their experiences.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply