Mountain Project Logo

Unwanted used shoes?

FOR SALE/WANTED WARNING: Mountain Project cannot verify the identity or trustworthiness of any member. Fraud has happened.
  • Do not use PayPal "gift" payments, wire transfers, Western Union, etc.
  • Use PayPal credit card payments, or other systems that protect you from fraud.
Original Post
Eric L · · Roseville, CA · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 115

Seeking well loved, unwanted, and cheap/free climbing shoes of various sizes.  I recently started teaching the basics of climbing for my son's boy scout troop (Sacramento area).  After watching them struggle climbing in street shoes I realized I need a cache of "loaner shoes."  I don't want to spend a mint on new shoes for noobs, thought I'd start here and ask around.  Thanks for any gear you can spare or leads on cheap shoes.  (Willing to barter belay duty or drive to local crags in return (on my "off" weekends).)

Alex Saingchin · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 50

I've got a pair of old women/kids size shoes. I'm in Oakland if u want to scoop them up or am happy to ship them to u at cost. PM me and thanks for sharing the love for the outdoors. - Alex

Tony B · · Around Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 23,265

What size range are you looking for?
Ever consider talking to the local gyms for > 1 year old (presumed abandoned) L&F shoes?

Erik Otto · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2017 · Points: 0

I have 4 pairs I'm looking to get rid of, I'd be happy to donate them to the Boy Scouts at shipping cost (I'm in Chicago). 2 pairs are fairly heavily used, not aggressive good beginner shoes, 1 pair is like new but pretty aggressive (harder on a beginners feet), then the other is like new and kind of medium aggression.   All size 9.

Thanks guys!  PMs sent.

Logan Peterson · · Santa Fe, NM · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 35

The Santa Fe Climbing Center has a bin full of shoes for $5. Most are in the kid-to-woman size range. They're selling them as a fundraiser for a non-profit, I believe.

Perhaps you can help each other.

http://climbsantafe.com/

DaveBaker · · Durham, NC · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 88

I have a pair of ex-gym rentals. Size 44 or 44.5. Still plenty of rubber left.

Yours if you pay for shipping.

Peter Kropp · · Nashville, TN · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 0

I have two pairs of pretty beginner friendly shoes with plenty of rubber left. If you're willing to pay shipping Im happy to send them over.

Thanks all for the stellar responses; I love this community.  PMs sent.  

Logan and Tony, thanks for the tips - I'll check them out (especially when I get to filling in "odd sizes").

Tobin Story · · Woodinville, WA · Joined Feb 2010 · Points: 35

I don't have any shoes to contribute to the cause, but have a suggestion to check out your local REI garage sale (or perhaps even call up your local REI with your story). I was in one last weekend and they had dozens of 'returned' pairs of rock shoes, mostly beginner models like the Tarantulace and Scarpa Origin, all near new but deeply discounted, most are ~$15. Might be worth a look. 

Thanks to everyone for the advice and shoes!  Peter, Dave and Alex - you guys are awesome.  Based on advice here (Logan, Tobin) I talked to the local climbing advocacy group (CRAGS) at a cleanup event and arranged some used shoe donations from Pipeworks in Sac.  If an of you are in the area (and climbing indoors), pay them a visit!   /thread closed :)

Thanks Erik Otto for the box of 5 pair of shoes!!!

Mark Berenblum · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 105

Eric, I have a pair of Evolve's with a blown out toe that I'm about to throw out. They're a men's size 10 and smell absolutely horrible. If you have any use for them, I'd be happy to drop them in the mail for you.

Rick Carpenter · · Kenai, Alaska · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 1,025

I have one pair of gym rental shoes (Size 7 or 7 1/2) that are in great shape as well as some other used pairs of climbing shoes that i could certainly lose. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply