New Climbing Podcast - The Bad Beta

Original Post
sapiecha · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 0

Hey everyone! Just wanted to let anyone who's interested know that we've launched a new climbing specific podcast called, The Bad Beta Podcast.

We think our podcast is different from the others that are out there... we don't really do interviews, or talk about training... Just 4 climbers, swapping stories, arguing about Sport vs. Trad, and helping to make sure that the gumbies coming out of the gyms don't ruin it for the rest of us! 

Check us out on iTunes, or most of the other podcast apps, and let us know what ya think!

-Matt

Mike Slavens · · Houston, TX · Joined Jan 2009 · Points: 35

I don't like this style of podcast with just random commentary but acknowledge it is fairly popular.  I only made it a little over 20-min in because of that so keep that in mind with my criticism.  Hopefully its useful and not overly harsh or judgmental.

-You jump around A LOT as far as what you were discussing.  I think it would benefit you to have a lose topic and keep the discussion at least somewhat focused on that topic.Be very mindful of your podcast style.  It can be very entertaining with funny stories, over the top opinions, and a general optimistic outlook.  However, it can quickly devolve into 4 people just recording themselves talking.

-Throw out some credentials (age, years of climbing, where you have climbed, what you have climbed, etc.).  Who are you and why should I care about what you have to say?  Is all I'm going to get stories from the Red?  Do you have any relevance to people from the Rockies, Desert, West Coast, Deep South, ice, alpanism, mountaineering, etc.?  Maybe this will comes as you put out more episodes but I'm not going to devote 4 hours to find out I have nothing in common with your show.

-I did like the story about the random dude doing a 1-arm pull-up then leaving.  I think those kind of stories are pretty universally entertaining.

Thanks Mike! The first episode was sort of off the cuff, but we definitely will be structuring it better in future episodes. We are all around climbers, and we climb everywhere (rockies, desert, ice, alpine) so we'll be talking about everything and getting (hopefully) interesting guests to keep us on point. By all means, if you don't like 4 people shooting the sh*t about random climbing stories, maybe hold off for a few episodes until we have a solid, structured, on point show.

thanks for the feedback!

caughtinside · · Oakland CA · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 1,415
sapiecha wrote:

Just 4 climbers, swapping stories, arguing about Sport vs. Trad, and helping to make sure that the gumbies coming out of the gyms don't ruin it 

Interesting idea. Most sprayers today just create a catchy Insta handle and spray there, but you are forging a new path by asking people to download your spray, then willingly sit there and listen to it?

caughtinside wrote:

Interesting idea. Most sprayers today just create a catchy Insta handle and spray there, but you are forging a new path by asking people to download your spray, then willingly sit there and listen to it?

Exactly!

Robby King · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 0

I listened this morning and really liked it! I'm excited to hear more. 

Thanks man! New episodes will be up every 2 weeks!

Hey! If anyone is interested, we just published Episode # 2 - the Booty Episode.

you can listen to it here or on iTunes/GooglePlay, or whatever podcast app you use. Just hit subscribe and new ep's should just appear on your phone as they are release. I kept a lot of comments and suggestions in mind, and hope we've cleaned it up a bit. New intro music is by HipHop legend PastorD (it's hilarious).

If you like it let me know, and if you hate it, let me know as well -- I'm always open to changing whatever doesn't work! 

thanks!

Matt

Robby King · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 0
sapiecha wrote:

If you like it let me know, and if you hate it, let me know as well -- I'm always open to changing whatever doesn't work! 

thanks!

Matt

I liked this episode a lot, too! (Except for the theme song -- can't you just find a girl who's a little stoned to read an intro like Chris Kalous does?)

For what it's worth, I really like that the show is so conversational, it makes it sound like what it is: a bunch a friends sitting around talking about climbing.

Chris Haines · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 0

Listened to both episodes, really liked the second one. Having a little more structure helped. Keep it up!

Thanks, we'll keep getting more 'refined' as we go, we hope those who like it keep listening! 

Nick Sweeney · · Spokane, WA · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 615

Some feedback:

I listened to the second episode during a long drive this weekend. I wasn't really expecting to enjoy the podcast because of the format, but I ended up mostly digging it!  However, I think that you all are "breaking the fourth wall" too often.  Your podcast will succeed if you can continue to simulate the feeling of a bunch of friends talking about climbing, laughing and having a good time.  The almost constant remarks about future plans for the podcast, the listeners, which professional climbers are or are not listening, etc got annoying and frankly felt a bit pretentious for a brand new podcast.  Additionally, I thought that the suggestion of a Kickstarter campaign for a studio was a joke, but it sounds like you might be serious about that... it seems awfully early to be asking for $10k in donations for a podcast with two episodes.  Maybe I misread and that was actually a joke... you should focus on building a solid fan base first.  Try to keep talk about the podcast confined to the intro, the podcast will flow better.  

Please don't take the above in a bad way, because I did end up enjoying the podcast - there are just some small things to improve.  I'll look forward to the third episode on my next long drive.

kevin deweese · · Oakland, Ca · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 200

I'm willing to give it three chances, but so far, I've tapped out of both the first and second episode midway mostly because, "what is the point of this and why am I listening to this?"

Nick Sweeney wrote:

Some feedback:

I listened to the second episode during a long drive this weekend. I wasn't really expecting to enjoy the podcast because of the format, but I ended up mostly digging it!  However, I think that you all are "breaking the fourth wall" too often.  Your podcast will succeed if you can continue to simulate the feeling of a bunch of friends talking about climbing, laughing and having a good time.  The almost constant remarks about future plans for the podcast, the listeners, which professional climbers are or are not listening, etc got annoying and frankly felt a bit pretentious for a brand new podcast.  Additionally, I thought that the suggestion of a Kickstarter campaign for a studio was a joke, but it sounds like you might be serious about that... it seems awfully early to be asking for $10k in donations for a podcast with two episodes.  Maybe I misread and that was actually a joke... you should focus on building a solid fan base first.  Try to keep talk about the podcast confined to the intro, the podcast will flow better.  

Please don't take the above in a bad way, because I did end up enjoying the podcast - there are just some small things to improve.  I'll look forward to the third episode on my next long drive.

Really appreciate the feedback, Nick. First, no, the kickstarter is a joke :) We have no plans to ask anyone for money. I don't take anything you said in a bad way; I understand our format isn't for everyone- frankly, I don't think it's possible to find an overly broad audience, especially when it comes to climbers. You'll never appease the boulderers, gym climbers, competition climbers, training specific nuts, alipnists, etc.. and we don't try to. I think the people who like the format will like it, and no amount of tweaking will get those that don't on board.

That said, we are still learning, and I imagine that episode 20 will differ greatly from episode 2, but for those who enjoy Podcasts (I am obsessed with them) and want a change from the other (awesome) dozen or so climbing podcasts (interviews, training, competition, industry); we hope we offer something different: a curmudgeon, a guide, and a physical therapist, who love to climb and talk about climbing.

Thanks a million for listening! Would love to hear what everyone thinks for upcoming episodes!

Matt

kevin deweese wrote:

I'm willing to give it three chances, but so far, I've tapped out of both the first and second episode midway mostly because, "what is the point of this and why am I listening to this?"

I agree, we're definitely not for you and offer nothing other than maybe a cheap laugh. I ask myself that about 30 or so podcasts I listen to :) I understand most people who don't listen to the "two guys talking" style of podcasts wouldn't get much out of us. Maybe if you stumble upon a topic or guest that interests you in the future, give us a listen, but other than that thanks for checking us out!

Peter T · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2016 · Points: 10

I listened to both episodes and really enjoyed them! Very different from other climbing podcasts but that's good so it doesn't get repetitive. I agree with someone above that the theme song could be better though. 

Nick Rhoads · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 0

Liked them...but needs to streamline and stay on topic more...some tangents ok.

Parker Wrozek · · Denver, CO · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 63

Episode 1 was a struggle to get through (jumped all over, people not talking into mics, etc).

Episode 2 was a marked improvement. This format I find it hard to listen for an hour though. I would prefer 30 min shows that stay a bit more on topic but with the banter. Otherwise I will stop listening at some point and then try to pick back up which is less ideal.

Personally I liked the intro music. Reminded me a bit of the Captain Dan and the Scurvy Crew. 

Good luck. 

I appreciate all the feedback guys. We'll keep working on it!

Hey there climbers! Just wanted to let anyone that's interested know, our 3rd episode has just dropped, Episode # 3 - The Sport vs. Trad Debate.

The conversation gets a little.... heated..

If you use a podcast app to listen (iTunes, GooglePlay, Stitcher, PocketCasts, etc.), you can search 'Bad Beta Podcast' or if you subscribed it should be in your feed, otherwise feel free to head to our site to listen there: Episode # 3 - The Sport vs Trad Debate

thanks again to those who've been listening, let me know if you have any questions , comments or suggestions, here, or send an email to info@badbetapodcast.com

caughtinside · · Oakland CA · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 1,415

That debate was over a decade ago.  All the climbers who are getting it done do both.  

I just saved your audience an hour. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply