Mountain Project Logo

New to climbing

Original Post
Katie Wilcox · · Henderson, Nevada · Joined May 2017 · Points: 0

I am new to this sport and would really like to learn how to climb. I am looking for a guide/mentor to teach me the ropes.  If anyone has any suggestions or guidance for me, I would appreciate any advice! 

Thank you, 

Katie

Andrew Yasso · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Sep 2012 · Points: 215

Hi Katie,

Welcome to the great sport of climbing. There are lots of great climbers in the area who would be awesome to learn from. If you are seeking a guide specifically, there are four main companies who are permitted to guide in Red Rock, and I advise you only hire a guide from one of them, as anyone else is likely working illegally.

I work for the American Alpine Institute, and love introducing folks to climbing. There are also a lot of other great guides in the area who you can't go wrong with. If you're looking to learn from a female climber and guide, Elaina Arenz and Tracy Martin are two awesome guides who are psyched on introducing more women to this sport.

Cheers,

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Thank you so much for responding. I am up to learn from anyone. So do I just call the Alpine Institute to get started? I don't know anything about climbing or who to talk to. Any information is greatly appreciated. If you have books you suggest I read to catch me on the sport that would also we greatly appreciated!

Thanks again!

Katie

Walter Galli · · Sint Maarten · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 1,956

Go to Origin climbing and fitness they have courses and guides for all your need. Best place in LV..

Nicholas Gillman · · Las Vegas · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 331

I notice your location says Henderson . In which case a great jump off point for you will be Origin Climbing (located in Henderson) great staff , great facility , they can for sure get you pointed in the right direction... they also do a lot of social events each month , for example I believe there 2 year anniversary party is this month .... the 13th I think?.....good event to meet some other climbers. Also in the valley as far as gyms we have Red Rock Climbing Center (Usually just called R2C2) , The Refuge and Neveda Climbing Center.  

Also community wise locally there is the Rock Climbing Women group they will do like meet ups at different places and iirc have Climbing outings every so often. You can find them on Facebook pretty easily. It's run by locals McKenzi Taylor and Sue Beauchamp if you have trouble finding it , try getting in touch with one of them. Additionally Desert Rock Sports is the climbing shop here in Vegas and is a great hub for all things climbing. 

Obviously we have a world class climbing area in our backyard in the form of Red Rock and like Andrew said there are a bunch of quality local guides that can get you headed in the right direction as far a basic climbing skills . 

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 275
Katie Wilcox wrote:

So do I just call the Alpine Institute to get started? I

That is a good idea.

Andrew Yasso · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Sep 2012 · Points: 215

Hi Katie. You can also email me directly and we can pick a time to talk on the phone about your options. My email is andrew (at) alpineinstitute (dot) com.

Thank you everyone for giving me such great feedback to get started. I am very excited about learning the sport of climbing!

Thank you,

Katie

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply