Mountain Project Logo

Partner/Mentor: Annapolis Rocks 5/6 or 5/7

Original Post
Kevin Long · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 0

Hi, I recently got into the sport of rock climbing and I'm looking for someone to teach me the basics of top rope climbing. I'm 18 years old, have been climbing at Earth Treks in Rockville throughout the winter, know how to belay, and climb at about 5.9 or 5.10a level. I also have all of the gear required for climbing at Annapolis Rocks or any top roping site (2 ropes, carabiners, harness, etc). I have some basic knowledge about tying a top rope anchor (using bowlines), but I should climb with an expert before I head out on my own with the experience that I have. My brother and I are looking to climb at Annapolis Rocks this weekend. I am free all day Saturday and free after 1:30 PM on Sunday. If anyone with some experience could come along and show us the ropes, it'd be greatly appreciated. If you'd like to contact me further beyond the forums, my cell is 240-315-6490.

Thank you,

Kevin Long

Brian Shaffer · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 40

You should link up with the PATC-MS club. They do a good education series and you can meet partners.

Pat Thornton · · State College, PA · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 0

If I remember correctly you'll need a whole bunch of static line to TR at Annapolis. I was living in Hagerstown this past fall but we mostly climbed at Pond Bank in PA (TR and trad). I've done a whole bunch of hiking in the area and can share some info on the areas if you want suggestions.

Kevin Long · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 0

Thanks Brian Shaffer. I'll have to look into that. Pat, I have 30 m of static line for anchoring and have practiced tying up anchors up there. It was sufficient for all of the routes I saw. I also have all of the gear required for sport climbing as well, but thought it would be easier to start with top roping than lead climbing a sport route.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply