Jemez Pueblo raising funds for agriculture

Original Post
a p · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 15

A nonprofit from the Pueblo of Jemez is trying to raise funds for a farming and culture initiative. I think that it would be great if they could see support from the climbing community, considering that so much of our local climbing is in their traditional territory (Jemez mountains). Plus it can't hurt access conversations to be seen caring about more than just the crags.

www.gofundme.com/jpave

Jack Quarless · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2011 · Points: 0

Please do not donate any money to this tribe as they consistentently and actively try to restrict climbing access in areas designated as national recreation spots within national forests. They use the kudgel of culture to get their way. I am not judging these actions, but giving this tribe more resources will only further jepordize access to climbing areas. 

a p · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 15

I think that's a pretty myopic view of access issues. So far, how has the climbing community acted towards Jemez except as an adversary? From my perspective, we haven't given Jemez any good reasons to support climbing and many reasons to oppose it. They are a powerful stakeholder with many cultural resources throughout the Jemez mountains, and expecting that they'll just get on board with climbing without motivation is naive. The only good way to fix access problems with tribes, in my opinion, is by building a strong, two-sided relationship. 

The notion that "giving the tribe resources" through this project will result in the jeopardy of climbing access is preposterous. Look at the page, dude. They're teaching kids how to farm and saving seeds. 

For what it's worth, I can't recall any instances of the tribe opposing climbing other than Crystal Cave, and that's largely in the Forest Service's hands now. Maybe I'm wrong, but either way, I think that viewing the Pueblo of Jemez as some sort of bogeyman or enemy is wrongheaded and profoundly unhelpful. That attitude isn't going to reopen access to Crystal Cave or preserve access anywhere else, but strong support for the Pueblo's other interests might help. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply