voo guidebook

Original Post
Joe Trabucco · · Wheat Ridge, CO · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 0

Anyone know the most comprehensive voo guidebook available?

Thanks

Dan Cooksey · · Seattle, WA · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 15

I believe that would be "the Voo" .

Christina kalb · · Boulder, CO · Joined Apr 2008 · Points: 555

"The Voo" contains more routes than the older guidebook "Rock Climbing at Vedauwoo, Wyoming."  However, in my opinion, it's not as good with route/approach descriptions as the older guidebook.  If you are looking to go to more of the outlying areas, then get "The Voo."  Otherwise, go for the older book.

https://www.amazon.com/Rock-Climbing-Vedauwoo-Wyoming-Medicine/dp/0964064545

https://www.amazon.com/Voo-Rock-Climbing-Vedauwoo-Wyoming/dp/0983242704

rkrum · · Denver, CO · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 15

Kelman's book is probably the most useful. Oren-whatever's book has more content. Including more sport routes, more routes in the outlying areas, more incorrect gear beta, and more incorrect general information. I actually thought his approach info was pretty decent though.

Edit: I guess instead of "approach info", I should have specified that he took a lot of good close up photos of most crags, making it really easy to pick out routes once you're there.

trice Rice · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2014 · Points: 0

"the voo" is a terrible guidebook IMO. almost no beta on pitch length. almost no beta on gear needed. basically no approach description besides a shitty map. I was pretty disappointed when I first used it. It does look nice and have a cool name though. 

R Sather · · Boulder, CO · Joined Sep 2012 · Points: 405

Pretty much reiterating past comments. Kelman's Book has better maps and overall I like the book better. "The Voo" has newer route info and an interesting layout that catches they eye but some of the beta, grading, book organization, and maps lead to confusion. I use all these guides when going to Vedauwoo and between Kelman's book, The Voo, Vedauwoo Bouldering Guide, and Mountain Project I still get turned around at times an wonder wtf is going on. At some point you'll have to except that fact that you will be taking your gear for a walk if you want to venture away from popular main areas. Good Luck, and have fun. Vedauwoo is a special place.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply