Hiking Loop Trail with no snow?

Original Post
Dani Fallon · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 0

Hey everyone... Curious of anyone has recommendations for a good solo- hiking spot for 3-5 days, anywhere in a 6hr vicinity of The Bay area? 

I was planning to do a loop near the John Muir / PCT, but there is still too much snow to do that one...  Any other suggestions?

Thank you!  

Happy to drive anywhere, but I will eventually be driving back up to Oregon.

King Tut · · Citrus Heights · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 420

Hey Dani,

This is the Badger Pass ski area in Yosemite web-cam today:

Its North facing but as you can see, the base gets plenty of sun...and its about 7200' elevation. So that is going to limit your possibilities quite a lot at the current time. Its Mud Month...:)

Are you an accomplished solo hiker? Are you comfortable with x-country travel? Early season in the Sierras after a year like this it can be hard to find  anything to do as it (mostly) doesn't get interesting until ~8000' or so...but there maybe some top secret west side secrets I can share if you have the experience.

Other alternatives are day-hiking out of Yosemite Valley or maybe an overnight in Little Yosemite (bears will be thick).

C Brooks · · Fresno, CA · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 546

Road into Cedar Grove opened today. Rae Lakes loop in Kings Canyon is nice.

King Tut · · Citrus Heights · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 420
C Brooks wrote:

I'd guess we need to know exactly when she is planning to go. I was assuming right around now?

George Wu · · Newport Beach, CA · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 76
C Brooks wrote:

Rae Lakes Loop will almost certainly have some snow on it still.  I've encountered patches of snow on it in August after big winters.  Glenn Pass is 12k feet, too.

Dani Fallon · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 0

Oh Wow!

Thanks for the info guys. Rae Loop was one I was thinking about... but looks like with this much snow, I might be better off planning a climbing trip or trip to Mexico...lol!  I'm back in the area in September, so I will plan my solo trip then instead.  I have spent a lot of time in the bush.. but don't have a great deal of experience with route finding. So a simple trail would be best. Essentially just seeking out quiet time away from everything and less concerned about distance travelled.

Thanks!

kenr · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2010 · Points: 10,599
Dani Fallon wrote:

Essentially just seeking out quiet time away from everything and less concerned about distance travelled.

So why not just rent (or purchase)

snowshoes
(and micro-spikes?)

Walking on snow works just fine, if you do it at the right time of day.

nkane · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 90

The mountains are probably too snowy, as others have said. But there are other options in lower elevation areas! How about Henry Coe? Point Reyes? The Lost Coast is on your way back home to Oregon! You can totally get lost for a couple days in these areas, it's not too hot yet, and the wildflowers are going off.

kenr · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2010 · Points: 10,599
nkane wrote:

How about Henry Coe? Point Reyes? The Lost Coast is on your way back home to Oregon! 

Yes but you can go hiking in those areas any time of year.

Getting out in the Sierra mountains with snow at or near the trailheads in May is a special opportunity this year. 

I don't live anywhere near California, but I'm making a special trip to the Sierra Eastside area around Mammoth and Bishop because there's so much snow.

That's why snowshoes and micro-spikes are so valuable. They allow you to experience the Sierra mountains in an especially wonderful situation.

Some trailheads I especially like with snow are: South Lake (W of Bishop), Mammoth Lakes, and Rock Creek (between Mammoth and Bishop).

Ken

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply