Mountain Project Logo

Spain Climbing June

Original Post
Nina Nichols · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 0

Hello, I will be near Barcelona in the beginning of June and looking for anyone leads on best places to climb or find other solo traveler/climbers.

Let me know!

mountainhick · · Black Hawk, CO · Joined Mar 2009 · Points: 120

I'm currently climbing in Catalunya. 

Are you staying in Barcelona or can you go mobile? Car rentals are very cheap and having wheels really helps unless you commit to a refugio. Do you want camping, hostels/refugios or airBnb kinds of places?

Car/tent camping areas are not the most aesthetic, but if you have a camper van you can camp almost anywhere. Public parks (rural) etc seem to allow self contained vans but not tents. But camper van rentals (at least what I found) are outrageously expensive

The refugios are probably your best bet to hook up easily, but check what temperature and aspects the crags are. Could be really hot in June on south facing stuff. Mischa had recommedations for refugios on another thread.

Also most places on weekends are easy to hook up, just go to a crag and say hi. I've been at Camarasa most of the time... easy. Language is Catalan, but many speak some English and speaking a little Spanish helps

There are many types of accommodations, most towns have traditional hostels, and there's a ton of air bnbs but they do book up, so helps to look ahead of time. I stayed at one in St LLorenc de Montgai, now in Talarn... good.

What kind of level do you climb? Some areas have a fair bit grade 5- 6a/b/c, most areas have a ton 7a and up. If more in the 5-6 range, check out this page: http://www.lleidaclimbs.com/p/recommendations-v-to-6c.html

There are a couple related threads recently, check the International forum and International partners section

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

International
Post a Reply to "Spain Climbing June"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started