Looking for Partner in/around Carlsbad area

Original Post
Rachel Sun · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 0

I'm currently a college student at the University of Michigan and am doing an internship from June to August in Carlsbad.

I've been climbing for around 6 years now, with experience climbing sport lead, and some trad and sport multipitch. Grade wise, I'm climbing up to 5.11d (in the Red River Gorge) and am really hoping to get better. I've climbed in the Red River Gorge, New River Gorge, T-Wall Chatt, Horseshoe Canyon Ranch, and El Potrero Chico.

I'd really appreciate any advice/suggestions for climbing in the area and maybe a gym recommendation!

Iden Emam · · San Diego, CA · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 45

There are a few really good climbing gyms in the greater San Diego Area! I think closest to you is The Wall Climbing Gym, but it is bouldering only, albeit pretty good bouldering. A little further away from ya is Mesa Rim which is without a doubt one of the best sport climbing gyms in the US. 

As far as outdoor climbing goes, we have El Cajon  and Mission Gorge as the main sport climbing areas within an hour or so drive. They are pretty decent. If you are willing to drive 3-5 hours, you'll land in some of the best climbing areas in the country including Joshua Tree, Owens River Gorge, Yosemite, and Bishiop among others. Right in the middle you have Malibu, New Jack City and the Quarry which are all fun sport climbing areas and only about 2 hours away.

I'm currently a student at UCSD, so feel free to shoot me a pm with any questions or if you need a climbing partner!

dino74 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 60

https://www.meetup.com/Rock-Climbers-Of-San-Diego/ is a good place to meet climbers.

J Sundstrom · · San Diego, CA · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 115

Just be forewarned: summer is hot in the SD backcountry and even hotter the further inland you go. Climb at elevation and you'll be much happier!

Joshua Dee · · San Diego, CA · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 30

My friends and I are avoiding the heat by sport climbing at Mesa Rim (usually Mira Mesa location). You're more than welcome to come by, message me if interested!

Eric · · Vista, CA · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 0

Vertical hold San Marcos is probably the closest gym to you with ropes. Let me know if you want to check it out, you can use my guest pass. 

Johnny Ink · · Portland · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 245

Visiting LA from Portland and need a climbing partner thursday june 1st.  Just a day trip to malibu creek or something.  Sport.  Anyone who has that thursday off and interested,  hit me up.  Cheers.

Lou Cerutti · · Carlsbad, California · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 214

Vital Climbing Gym is IN Carlsbad. The Wall being second closest in Vista. Both bouldering only gyms but Vital is 24hrs for members and there's another newer location in Oceanside that you have access to as well. 

Tradiban · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 11,175

You are less than 2 hours from Tahquitz.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply