More rockfall on Arrow Wall today

Original Post
Emmett Lyman · · Somerville, MA · Joined Feb 2011 · Points: 355

I was rapping Arrow last time the refrigerator sized block came off Red Pillar, maybe 2 years ago. This one looked more like a dishwasher, and seemed like it came from the same area. Made it maybe halfway to the carraige road. Weirdly, I was on top of Thin Slabs a couple hours later and heard 2 more distinct rockfalls - both sounded substantial. I heard the all clear after the first one. Everyone ok after the other two? And what the hell was going on over there today? Sounded like a freakin zoo.

Peter T · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2016 · Points: 10

Did it come off the wall? They were moving blocks to build a new trail in that area so maybe that was it?

Emmett Lyman · · Somerville, MA · Joined Feb 2011 · Points: 355

Ahhhh.. that would make sense, at least for the 2nd two crashes I heard. The first, however, seemed like it came off Red Pillar again - lots of shouting "ROCK ROCK ROCK" and then an "Everyone's safe", and I saw a dishwasher-sized block tumbling deep into the woods below. That one definitely seems like it was legit rockfall.

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 2,740

I was looking at that spot this morning.  The trail crew appear to have pried out a washing machine-size block from the base of Red Pillar and it appears that it got away from them and went down the hill.  Trees scarred, soil majorly disturbed, and a tree broken off (that maybe they were using as a hoist point).

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply