Mountain Project Logo

Ueli Steck killed in Nepal. A legend has fallen.

Original Post
Jon H · · MD/DC · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 121
sherb · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 60

This is shocking. 

Michael Sullivan · · Madison, WI · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 730

So sad to read this. My condolences to all the people he loved and those who loved him. He may be dead but the legend will never die. 

stolo · · Shelby, NC · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 215

Just saw this, couldn't believe the headline. Ueli Steck was an inspiration. 

Mark NH · · 03053 · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 0

A legend and inspiration is gone. I'm shocked. Condolences to his family. 

NickinCO · · colorado · Joined Sep 2010 · Points: 155

Not really that surprising? Soloist/speed climbing/death all kind of go together don't they? Condolences to his family.

nathanael · · Riverside, CA · Joined May 2011 · Points: 518

fuck

Abandoned User · · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 6,680

Gravity never sleeps, but until now it seemed that Steck had somehow figured out how to defy it at will. Let it be a useful reminder for the rest of us: don't get too cocky.

Tyler Metheney · · St Louis · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 42

I guess I shouldn't be surprised but I am. For some reason I thought he'd pull off that life style an die an old man. Rest in piece Ueli, the best climbs are in heaven.

BigB · · Red Rock, NV · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 340

Sad, RIP!....but can't say I'm surprised to read this. With the way he was running up mtns it seems like it would be very easy to make a mistake. :(  

Keith Noback · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2009 · Points: 640

Whillans was wrong. 

Steck's physical and psychological capabilities were immense, and he utilized them fully. Whatever the end, he cannot be criticized for the path he took.

NickinCO · · colorado · Joined Sep 2010 · Points: 155
Keith Noback wrote:

Whillans was wrong. 

Steck's physical and psychological capabilities were immense, and he utilized them fully. Whatever the end, he cannot be criticized for the path he took.

oh but he can and will be... give it time. 

DrApnea · · Wenatchee, WA · Joined May 2011 · Points: 250

Ueli Steck pushed the sport to a new level with his physical and mental endurance.  He inspired countless people and is a legend that will be missed.  R.I.P.

Sam Keller · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 30

“There have been joys too great to be described in words, and there have been griefs upon which I have not dared to dwell; and with these in mind I say: Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste; look well to each step; and from the beginning think what may be the end.”

-Edward Whymper

GMBurns · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2008 · Points: 470
NickinCO wrote:

oh but he can and will be... give it time. 

His theory was that speed limits how much danger you put yourself in. Plenty have died moving slower, and none died moving faster. Not sure what there is to criticize. He was pushing the limits way ahead. 

Stephen Felker · · Boulder, CO · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 505

Worldwide, Ueli was probably the highest paid, highest profile climber to ever die in pursuit of such such cutting edge goals.  No one is immune.  RIP and YGD 

edelweiss · · Seattle, WA · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 0

Shocking!! 

I remember him saying during a lecture that he never pushes his luck and only soloes routes that are way below his comfort zone, yet he expects to die earlier than the average climber. I found this controversial, but it makes sense if one thinks beyond the obvious. R.I.P.! 

Daryl Allan · · Sierra Vista, AZ · Joined Sep 2006 · Points: 1,040

Very sad news indeed.

Jerimiah We · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 0

For some reason I always thought he knew something no one else did. Sad and sobering news.

Rick Blair · · Denver · Joined Oct 2007 · Points: 266

A terrific loss.  For some reason I thought this would not happen despite the obvious risks he took.

Randy Aristotle · · Fort Collins, CO · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 30

Ueli has had a significant impact on my own life philosophy and reasons for training. Thank you for showing what is possible.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Memorial
Post a Reply to "Ueli Steck killed in Nepal. A legend has fallen."