Snow Creek wall mid May?

Original Post
Zach Holt · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 50

I haven't been out that way yet this year, but am hoping to climb Snow Creek wall mid May. Does anybody have any insight as to whether the conditions will allow or when any raptor closures would likely occur if they were to? 

Thank you!

Hans Martin · · Seattle · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 0

It would probably be just fine! Weather has been good in Leavenworth. Just needs a bit more time to thaw out completely. 

David Kirchoff · · Olympia, WA · Joined May 2016 · Points: 3

Was out there on April 22nd and the hike up was clear for about 1.5 miles, then there were intermittent snow fields that are hard and packed in the morning and more pliable in the afternoon. bring two ropes for the rappel instead of the walk off. It was horrendous.  

Jimmy Downhillinthesnow · · Bozeman, Montana · Joined Mar 2013 · Points: 5

Climbing itself should be fine, but I'll second the comment about the walk-off if it's snowy. Get there early and/or on a weekday, Outer Space sees almost daily epics in season. 

Karl Henize · · Bellingham, WA · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 415

I climbed Outer Space a few days ago. The route was fine. There was a little bit of snow at the base of snow creek wall, but we were able to get by with approach shoes.

Jplotz · · Wenatchee, WA · Joined Sep 2011 · Points: 505
David Kirchoff wrote:

bring two ropes for the rappel instead of the walk off. It was horrendous.  

This is funny.  If you think the walk off of SCW is horrendous, I suggest you not venture into the Cascades. It's one of the easier descents out there.  

The raps actually take longer and getting your ropes stuck is highly probable, as a couple of the pulls they fly off over the edge of the shield.  

ShaneM · · Seattle, WA · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 0

The walk-off was snow-free and fine April 9th. I don't know if the bootpack & cairns come/go seasonally, but it was pretty hard to follow compared to my previous experiences with that descent. That said, with some route-finding skills and the ability to do a few 3rd-class moves the descent shouldn't pose a problem, and is probably safer & faster than rapping for most. 

Joe Petroske · · North Bend, WA · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 15

Theres just a little snow on the trail and the base of the climb. I've been at snow creek wall the last 2 weekends and its been great. Got stuck behind a slow party last weekend and ended up having to walk down in the dark.

I thought the walk off wasn't bad at all, but my partner thought it was the worst thing ever so YMMV. Lots of cairns on the descent and a somewhat worn trail so as long as youre paying attention it shouldnt be that hard to find the easiest way down. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply