RopePro - Useful or Gimmick?

Original Post
Nate Doyle · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 10

RopePro Shield

RopePro Extreme

http://ropeprotect.com

James T · · Livermore · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 80

It depends. I have one, and I use sometimes for toprope soloing when there are sharp edges. I roll it up and clip it to a biner and deploy it when rapping down if needed. Wouldn't use it for anything besides that though.

Nate Doyle · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 10

Which model do you have?

Nicholas Gillman · · Las Vegas · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 331

Not that it's entirely the same thing but I had some hardware store tubing that I used to wrap around ropes hanging over sharper edges for TRing. Just a thought if it was something you really wanted to try or utilize could could prob do it solo for less than the 25-30 for the rope shield

Joshua Dee · · San Diego, CA · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 30

$20 seatbelt cover

BryanE · · Minneapolis, MN · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 335

The standard for top access cliffs in northern Minnesota with a top belay is a carpet square from the bottom of a car clipped to the anchor to pad the rope from the rock. Works really well, and you might have one lying around already

Luc Ried · · Batesville, AR · Joined Mar 2014 · Points: 440

I have just cut up old garden water hoses to use for rope protection. I do a lot of development, and it has always worked well for me. 

20 kN · · Hawaii · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 1,348

Garden hose works as a fantastic rope protector because it's impossible to come off the rope accidentally, it's extremely cheap and it's very burly. Drill a hole at one end, run some 4mm cord through and prussik the cord to the rope to keep the hose in place over the edge.

Rob Warden...Space Lizard · · Between Zion, Vegas, LA, an... · Joined Dec 2011 · Points: 115

When the firestation retires their aramide fire hose... get some bestnrope protector out there for 0 dollars 

James T · · Livermore · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 80
Nate Doyle wrote:

Which model do you have?

The extreme i think. I don't really know, I got it for super cheap off someone.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply