Cutting Velcro straps?

Original Post
Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 45

Hey everyone,

So I just got a pair of Ansasazi VCS's.  Great fit overall, but I have super narrow heels and I have to crank down the back straps to get a snug fit and not feel like my heel is going to slip.  This is fine, except the straps are super long and basically are extending all the way to the bottom of the shoe.  Same problem on Miuras, except it's even worse.  I was thinking of shortening the straps by cutting the ends off, and can't think of any particular reason why this would be a bad idea...can you?

Andrew Ryder · · Flagstaff · Joined Jun 2006 · Points: 3,655

Probably fine, all that material is hanging in space anyway. Maybe figure a way to seal the ends so they don't fall apart.

Have you ever considered women's shoes? My feet are super low volume and narrow. I bought the W Miura lace ups several years ago and never went back to men's models. 

I have, but they don't normally make women's shoes my size (13 US street).  Five Ten might, but LS definitely does not.  I also have a slightly wide toebox and longer 2nd/3rd toe.  My feet are messed up, lol.  Laces normally fit much better, but I like the easy on/off of Velcro for the gym.

Josh Kornish · · tufaclimbing.com · Joined Sep 2009 · Points: 245

Ted, 

When you cut your straps down you don't need to worry about heat sealing your edges but you'll want to reinforce the stitching between the leather and the velcro since there isn't a strong terminal stitch.  I'd recommend a little bit of seam grip over top stitching or just run it through a sewing machine so the two layers don't separate.

Baba Fats · · Philadelphia, PA · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 0

I'm not sure about the stitching on those shoes, but I cut the straps on my vapor v's and didn't have to reinforce the stitching.  It worked out great

t.farrell · · New York, NY · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 0

On the Velcro Anasazis with C4, they stitch across the straps at intervals. I always assume this was done so that you could cut the straps without having them unravel. I don't know if it's the same on the tan ones with Onyxx. The tan one has different straps.

You can also criss cross the Velcro so that it forms an X instead of two parallel lines  

Fairly certain the stitching is the same...good to know.  Having trouble picturing how the X would work, but I'll give it a try.  Thanks!

t.farrell · · New York, NY · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 0
Ted Pinson wrote:

Fairly certain the stitching is the same...good to know.  Having trouble picturing how the X would work, but I'll give it a try.  Thanks!

They may have changed it. For a while though the blues had a cheaper finish than the tans. 

For the X, strap the front 'hook' strap to the back loop area and the back hook strap to the front loop area. I have the same problem with my anasazis, and this seems to work okay

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply