Mountain Project Logo

LS Maverink?


Original Post
Nivel Egres · · New York, NY · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 130

 These are supposed to be teenager shoes, with 39 being the biggest size (I think). Has anyone tried them yet? Is the fit identical to Futuras, but as a slipper? Are they really soft and huggy?


that guy named seb · · Britland · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 205

They are built on a less aggressive last than all their other no edge shoes. They are basically a non aggressive speedster, about as downturned as a miura.

Nivel Egres · · New York, NY · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 130
that guy named seb wrote:

They are built on a less aggressive last than all their other no edge shoes. They are basically a non aggressive speedster, about as downturned as a miura.

So it's asymmetrical but flat and soft? Sounds like a perfect gym shoe, no?

Nick Drake · · Newcastle, WA · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 483
Nivel Egres wrote:

So it's asymmetrical but flat and soft? Sounds like a perfect gym shoe, no?

That's what I'm thinking when my last pair of pythons die

Noah Yetter · · Lakewood, CO · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 105

Largest size is 42

that guy named seb · · Britland · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 205
Nivel Egres wrote:

So it's asymmetrical but flat and soft? Sounds like a perfect gym shoe, no?

Gym in what sense? Bouldering? Lead? flat last isn't going to perform well on overhanging. soft shoe means it doesn't perform well at purely vertical or slightly less than vertical, Curled toes means it's less comfortable. Slipper means heel hooks are dubious at best unless sized extremely tight or the heel fits perfectly. Maverink has no advantages over the speedster and plenty of disadvantages compared to it. The only good thing about the maverink is it's price.

Nick Drake · · Newcastle, WA · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 483
that guy named seb wrote:

Gym in what sense? Bouldering? Lead? flat last isn't going to perform well on overhanging. soft shoe means it doesn't perform well at purely vertical or slightly less than vertical, Curled toes means it's less comfortable. Slipper means heel hooks are dubious at best unless sized extremely tight or the heel fits perfectly. Maverink has no advantages over the speedster and plenty of disadvantages compared to it. The only good thing about the maverink is it's price.

And it's availability for us in the states without shipping over the pond.

that guy named seb · · Britland · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 205
Nick Drake wrote:

And it's availability for us in the states without shipping over the pond.

Forgot about how the speedster was discontinued in the states, the futura would still be a much better option.

Nick Drake · · Newcastle, WA · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 483

$120 maverink

$185 futura

Then there's the whole problem of the stupid strap breaking on the futura before your second resole is due. I hate the solution style closure with a passion. 

Nivel Egres · · New York, NY · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 130
Nick Drake wrote:

$120 maverink

$185 futura

Then there's the whole problem of the stupid strap breaking on the futura before your second resole is due. I hate the solution style closure with a passion. 

I am at the strap breaking point and I am nowhere near even the first resole.  Still love the shoe, just wish they would change the closure style. 

Ol Leatherhands · · Olympia, WA · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 0

Engineered guarantee that more shoes will be bought. Gotta hate that.

took mine to a "tactical tailor" that's local... they fixed it up for pretty cheap.

Nivel Egres · · New York, NY · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 130
that guy named seb wrote:

Gym in what sense? Bouldering? Lead? flat last isn't going to perform well on overhanging. soft shoe means it doesn't perform well at purely vertical or slightly less than vertical, Curled toes means it's less comfortable. Slipper means heel hooks are dubious at best unless sized extremely tight or the heel fits perfectly. Maverink has no advantages over the speedster and plenty of disadvantages compared to it. The only good thing about the maverink is it's price.

My sense is that we are having a theoretical argument based on a single video which as one can imagine means nothing.  For instance, LS website says "The P3® platform gives you the downturned power needed for hard boulder problems." which directly contradicts the "flat shoe" statement.

Anyway, have any of us tried these shoes on? They are apparently in stock at Rock and Snow, so I might get to touch them this coming weekend. 

PS. I have found that climbing in soft shoes is harder but does make my footwork better. Go figure.

Nivel Egres · · New York, NY · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 130
GoatSlayer wrote:

Engineered guarantee that more shoes will be bought. Gotta hate that.

took mine to a "tactical tailor" that's local... they fixed it up for pretty cheap.

Replaced the strap with a regular lace or something fancier? I am considering an 8mm dyneema sling as a replacement when mine finally bites the dust.

eli poss · · Durango, Co · Joined May 2014 · Points: 456
that guy named seb wrote:

Gym in what sense? Bouldering? Lead? flat last isn't going to perform well on overhanging. soft shoe means it doesn't perform well at purely vertical or slightly less than vertical, Curled toes means it's less comfortable. Slipper means heel hooks are dubious at best unless sized extremely tight or the heel fits perfectly. Maverink has no advantages over the speedster and plenty of disadvantages compared to it. The only good thing about the maverink is it's price.

Not necessarily true. A soft shoe or stiff shoe is not inherently good or bad, they just encourage different styles of footwork. Some people's style of footwork may lend itself to a soft/stiff preference, but others seem to work well with both types of shoes. 

Nivel Egres · · New York, NY · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 130

As a micro-review, I tried them on and bought them. So far, after a few hours of warm-up bouldering outside, I love them. The fit is perfect for me, I don't mind the flatter last given how perfect the fit is.  The sensitivity is amazing and I suddenly find footwork on steeper ground very smooth. Would they replace Miura VS or Futuras for me? No. But as I expected, it's a perfect gym shoe and probably a pretty good shoe where feeling the footwork matters. I suspect I'd like the Speedster better, but alas, it's not offered in the US and I have reservations about buying shoes I can't try on first.

John The Wolf · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 50

Got to demo them quickly, it was too short of a test to say much performance wise but my takeaway is that they are VERY soft so that may help building strength. 

You also have to downsize quite aggressively in them so that can be taken in consideration for the size limit of 42. I think people with bigger feet may also be heavier and not get proper support out of this shoe. 

For reference, I was a 40.5 in the miura XX and a 39 in those.

Nivel Egres · · New York, NY · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 130
John The Wolf wrote:

For reference, I was a 40.5 in the miura XX and a 39 in those.

Yup. I weat Miura VS in 38 as a performance shoe and this one I bought 37.5 "comfortable". I also think they might stretch a fair bit, we will see

Noah Yetter · · Lakewood, CO · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 105

(thread necromancy...)

I got a pair in 42, the largest size they come in, and coincidentally the smallest Sportiva size I can generally tolerate.

I haven't worn them a whole lot but here are my thoughts so far. First off they are indeed flat-lasted, even though many photographs make them look just as downturned as the Futura. They're extremely soft, more so than any shoe I have except possibly Moccs. Not quite as soft as the Furia or Team Vxi. I prefer soft shoes in the gym, to make my feet work harder, and the Maverink is great for that.

I wore them outside today on some sketchy sandstone slab (RRCOS) and they were fantastic for that. For folks with small enough feet these are a sleeper hit of a slab shoe.

Nick Drake · · Newcastle, WA · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 483
Noah Yetter wrote:

(thread necromancy...)

I got a pair in 42, the largest size they come in, and coincidentally the smallest Sportiva size I can generally tolerate.

I haven't worn them a whole lot but here are my thoughts so far. First off they are indeed flat-lasted, even though many photographs make them look just as downturned as the Futura. They're extremely soft, more so than any shoe I have except possibly Moccs. Not quite as soft as the Furia or Team Vxi. I prefer soft shoes in the gym, to make my feet work harder, and the Maverink is great for that.

I wore them outside today on some sketchy sandstone slab (RRCOS) and they were fantastic for that. For folks with small enough feet these are a sleeper hit of a slab shoe.

Funny you brought this back up, I was just thinking about posting my feedback. I picked up a pair in 39.5 (same size as my pythons and my toe bulging rand out past the sole skwamas and testarossas). I was also surprised at how flat they really are, there is no knuckling of toes or even any real down camber to them. 

I used them on a 10+ granite friction slab route, holy shit these might just be the best pure friction slab shoe available. You can get SO MUCH rubber in contact, with no stiffening plastic midsole they just conform to every ripple and divot in the rock and it's easy to pull toes up to press the ball of the foot hard. The no edge works well when you smedge on bumps also, seemed to be a perfect radius to get more rubber into the rock. The only downside would be that when you do have to edge you better remember to drop your heels then too, they take a lot of foot strength.

For the gym they were just meh for me, they've been relegated to mellow ARC/active recovery use only. I've climbed V4/5 stuff on plastic in them just fine, but I was definitely pulling with the arms harder than I do in higher performance shoes. With no downturn I really can't toe in and pull in hips nearly as well compared to my pythons or skwamas. I'm not sure if it's the flat last/no knuckle of the big toe, but they just don't feel precise at all to me either. I haven't tried other no edge shoes, but it felt like the thicker sole curving up the side made me place my actual toe further out from the wall inside edging. Also on heel hooks, the heel really isn't that secure and it's only the easiest hooks on jugs that I can pull (did pull my heel straight out on a harder hook). I'll stick with skwamas for my gym training, those who like flat lasts may feel differently. 

Ryan James · · SF, CA · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 0
Nivel Egres wrote:

As a micro-review, I tried them on and bought them. So far, after a few hours of warm-up bouldering outside, I love them. The fit is perfect for me, I don't mind the flatter last given how perfect the fit is.  The sensitivity is amazing and I suddenly find footwork on steeper ground very smooth. Would they replace Miura VS or Futuras for me? No. But as I expected, it's a perfect gym shoe and probably a pretty good shoe where feeling the footwork matters. I suspect I'd like the Speedster better, but alas, it's not offered in the US and I have reservations about buying shoes I can't try on first.

How did you size them relative to your Futuras? Did you size down more?

Nivel Egres · · New York, NY · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 130
Ryan James wrote:

How did you size them relative to your Futuras? Did you size down more?

I did, went down half a size - my street shoe size is 41.5, I wear Futuras in 38 and I went down to 37.5 for these guys. They do stretch a lot and now, after a few months, they feel "comfy" (a sign that they will be in a give-away bin soon).

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply

Log In to Reply