LS Maverink?


Original Post
Nivel Egres · · New York, NY · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 50

 These are supposed to be teenager shoes, with 39 being the biggest size (I think). Has anyone tried them yet? Is the fit identical to Futuras, but as a slipper? Are they really soft and huggy?


that guy named seb · · Britland · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 0

They are built on a less aggressive last than all their other no edge shoes. They are basically a non aggressive speedster, about as downturned as a miura.

Nivel Egres · · New York, NY · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 50
that guy named seb wrote:

They are built on a less aggressive last than all their other no edge shoes. They are basically a non aggressive speedster, about as downturned as a miura.

So it's asymmetrical but flat and soft? Sounds like a perfect gym shoe, no?

Nick Drake · · Newcastle, WA · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 438
Nivel Egres wrote:

So it's asymmetrical but flat and soft? Sounds like a perfect gym shoe, no?

That's what I'm thinking when my last pair of pythons die

Noah Yetter · · Lakewood, CO · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 10

Largest size is 42

that guy named seb · · Britland · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 0
Nivel Egres wrote:

So it's asymmetrical but flat and soft? Sounds like a perfect gym shoe, no?

Gym in what sense? Bouldering? Lead? flat last isn't going to perform well on overhanging. soft shoe means it doesn't perform well at purely vertical or slightly less than vertical, Curled toes means it's less comfortable. Slipper means heel hooks are dubious at best unless sized extremely tight or the heel fits perfectly. Maverink has no advantages over the speedster and plenty of disadvantages compared to it. The only good thing about the maverink is it's price.

Nick Drake · · Newcastle, WA · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 438
that guy named seb wrote:

Gym in what sense? Bouldering? Lead? flat last isn't going to perform well on overhanging. soft shoe means it doesn't perform well at purely vertical or slightly less than vertical, Curled toes means it's less comfortable. Slipper means heel hooks are dubious at best unless sized extremely tight or the heel fits perfectly. Maverink has no advantages over the speedster and plenty of disadvantages compared to it. The only good thing about the maverink is it's price.

And it's availability for us in the states without shipping over the pond.

that guy named seb · · Britland · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 0
Nick Drake wrote:

And it's availability for us in the states without shipping over the pond.

Forgot about how the speedster was discontinued in the states, the futura would still be a much better option.

Nick Drake · · Newcastle, WA · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 438

$120 maverink

$185 futura

Then there's the whole problem of the stupid strap breaking on the futura before your second resole is due. I hate the solution style closure with a passion. 

Nivel Egres · · New York, NY · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 50
Nick Drake wrote:

$120 maverink

$185 futura

Then there's the whole problem of the stupid strap breaking on the futura before your second resole is due. I hate the solution style closure with a passion. 

I am at the strap breaking point and I am nowhere near even the first resole.  Still love the shoe, just wish they would change the closure style. 

GoatSlayer · · Olympia, WA · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 0

Engineered guarantee that more shoes will be bought. Gotta hate that.

took mine to a "tactical tailor" that's local... they fixed it up for pretty cheap.

Nivel Egres · · New York, NY · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 50
that guy named seb wrote:

Gym in what sense? Bouldering? Lead? flat last isn't going to perform well on overhanging. soft shoe means it doesn't perform well at purely vertical or slightly less than vertical, Curled toes means it's less comfortable. Slipper means heel hooks are dubious at best unless sized extremely tight or the heel fits perfectly. Maverink has no advantages over the speedster and plenty of disadvantages compared to it. The only good thing about the maverink is it's price.

My sense is that we are having a theoretical argument based on a single video which as one can imagine means nothing.  For instance, LS website says "The P3® platform gives you the downturned power needed for hard boulder problems." which directly contradicts the "flat shoe" statement.

Anyway, have any of us tried these shoes on? They are apparently in stock at Rock and Snow, so I might get to touch them this coming weekend. 

PS. I have found that climbing in soft shoes is harder but does make my footwork better. Go figure.

Nivel Egres · · New York, NY · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 50
GoatSlayer wrote:

Engineered guarantee that more shoes will be bought. Gotta hate that.

took mine to a "tactical tailor" that's local... they fixed it up for pretty cheap.

Replaced the strap with a regular lace or something fancier? I am considering an 8mm dyneema sling as a replacement when mine finally bites the dust.

eli poss · · Durango, Co · Joined May 2014 · Points: 136
that guy named seb wrote:

Gym in what sense? Bouldering? Lead? flat last isn't going to perform well on overhanging. soft shoe means it doesn't perform well at purely vertical or slightly less than vertical, Curled toes means it's less comfortable. Slipper means heel hooks are dubious at best unless sized extremely tight or the heel fits perfectly. Maverink has no advantages over the speedster and plenty of disadvantages compared to it. The only good thing about the maverink is it's price.

Not necessarily true. A soft shoe or stiff shoe is not inherently good or bad, they just encourage different styles of footwork. Some people's style of footwork may lend itself to a soft/stiff preference, but others seem to work well with both types of shoes. 

Nivel Egres · · New York, NY · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 50

As a micro-review, I tried them on and bought them. So far, after a few hours of warm-up bouldering outside, I love them. The fit is perfect for me, I don't mind the flatter last given how perfect the fit is.  The sensitivity is amazing and I suddenly find footwork on steeper ground very smooth. Would they replace Miura VS or Futuras for me? No. But as I expected, it's a perfect gym shoe and probably a pretty good shoe where feeling the footwork matters. I suspect I'd like the Speedster better, but alas, it's not offered in the US and I have reservations about buying shoes I can't try on first.

John The Wolf · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 45

Got to demo them quickly, it was too short of a test to say much performance wise but my takeaway is that they are VERY soft so that may help building strength. 

You also have to downsize quite aggressively in them so that can be taken in consideration for the size limit of 42. I think people with bigger feet may also be heavier and not get proper support out of this shoe. 

For reference, I was a 40.5 in the miura XX and a 39 in those.

Nivel Egres · · New York, NY · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 50
John The Wolf wrote:

For reference, I was a 40.5 in the miura XX and a 39 in those.

Yup. I weat Miura VS in 38 as a performance shoe and this one I bought 37.5 "comfortable". I also think they might stretch a fair bit, we will see

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply

Log In to Reply