Does anybody feel sad for the people of Hampi?

Original Post
Pil Jungli · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 60

It's from the article 

DESTINATION GUIDE: Bouldering in Hampi, India

by  Nick Brown - UKC Jan/2017

This article has been read 7,259 times    

I write this guide with a slight caveat; Hampi is going to change drastically in the next couple of years. Under the guise of the area being a UNESCO World Heritage Site, all of the guesthouses within a 7-8km radius around the main temple area are going to be knocked down. This is an attempt  to 'encourage' tourists to stay in Hospet, the nearest large town roughly half an hour away. Unfortunately, it's all very shady and underhand; a very sad end to many of the businesses that have flourished over the past couple of decades.

Hampi destination guide

The people around the village of Hampi are harming nobody and are getting trampled on by those with money and power. If anybody wonders about the details of just what the hell is going on check this article. 

Hampi Island demolitions

Do the climbers care? Well obviously not.

How happy Americans are to stay in the nice little guest houses of Hampi. When the police turn up with jcb's and flatten everything destroying peoples happiness do they give a shit, well no, selfish tourists on holiday drinking their beloved coca cola and with no real friends at that place at all. I tested them just to see if people are real to their word or not and well the results are not inspiring. The American tourist climbers act like mindless consumers. They treat the locals as slaves then act as if they are superior to the Israelis just because they are climbers.  
 I don't like it.

Pocket Lobster · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 0

Sorry, I am too busy being sad about something that you don't give a shit about.

Pocket Lobster,  How do you know I don't give a shit about it?

Guy Keesee · · Moorpark, CA · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 310

Leave it to the UN to really screw things up.....   one of the most corrupt organizations in the world, next to the Olympic committee. 

Lots of bad in this world. 

'The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization is a specialized agency of the United Nations based in Paris. Its declared purpose is to contribute to peace and security'. 

How the hell is it contributing to peace and security by destroying peoples homes and happiness. It's an absolute lie. SO much money being pumped into Hampi for preservation and it's all gone missing somewhere. Where is that money?  Nothing has happened except some poor locals who were trying to help the travellers and climbers survive have been trampled all over. They lost everything they built up over all the years. They did nothing wrong!  Is there nothing we can do?

So now the American Tourist Climbers are the bad guy?  Honestly, I doubt that many if any of the visiting climbers are aware of local political issues in a village in southern India.  They are just trying to find a place to sleep and keep their belongings while they are a long way from home and exhausted from traveling in a third world country.  I understand that this sucks, this is not new, poor people have and will be exploited for the benefit of greedy assholes in every country across the globe most likely for the rest of time.  Please don't blame American tourists for this phenomenon, thank you.

Pocket lobster, Sorry I just feel kind of helpless and wished that someone could give me any ideas.(apart from putting a turmeric bomb at the UNESCO office) I've tried writing to all the involved parties like ASI, Forest department, UNESCO but they won't reply. I wasn't blaming the tourists just observing and it just seemed like a type of indifference more than anything. I just hate to see old friends being treated like this and if they and their families are sad then I am too.  I'm scared for the future and if it takes hardcore political activists to make something happen and change then so be it. I will help. One hundred million people in India would be considered as naxalites now and if the government carries on abusing people like this it will get more. 

Glad to see you are doing everything you can.  That is admirable to stand up for what you believe in, the world needs more people to stand up strong.  Just remember we are ALL in this together. Peace

Pocket Lobster,

Thanks and I will keep trying my best to change this situation peacefuly. India is SO different to USA and in some ways much more free so it could be easier to change things here. It's still so open to ideas and not as fixed in it's ways as much of the west. If it comes to guns and bombs to fight the government it will be sad but as the former PM Manmohan Sing said, the biggest threat to India is from internal naxalite groups. People will only take so much shit before they start to fight back. 

mediocre · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 0

I think Pil and Pocket Lobster are the same person. 

It's funny, but Pil is my new favorite character on MP 

Take the pil put it in your pocket, eat the best bits of the lobster then take the pil out of your pocket, swallow it and see how it feels to be part of the Pilpocketlobsterization program. Trippy as fuck I'll tell you.  You didn't even know what was in the pil. You took it because of curiosity. Well now you know the truth. You are no longer mediocre and can have a super size coke anyway. 

It might just be the MDMA talking, but maybe we are the same or person.  At the very least I think his avatar picture has hypnotized me and allowed him to enter my consciousness.  

I was in India a few years back, and yes I agree that it is much more free than especially the US.  I mean honestly, people do whatever the fuck they want all the time, it is crazy and it is what makes India so interesting and so maddening.  

jibbi nibbi · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2017 · Points: 5

the govt has been too insensitive towards the common  local people.    just like visiting tourists

nib cu,   the govt has been too insensitive towards the common  local people.    just like visiting tourists

Too right they have ! Corruption is the main problem there are people creaming off millions of dollars even the officials from ASI and UNESCO itself and most certainly the forest department.  They (UNESCO) have spent SO much on Hampi but nobody knows how as there is nothing much to show for it. I mean does it cost that much to hire a few jcb's for a day? It's an absolute disaster! 

The only tourists who really care are those who stayed for ages so are actually close to the people. We are not that many and are trying to do anything we can by complaints and all but what to do? Extreme action will brand us criminals so we have to be careful or we will be banned or worse. Anybody out there lawyers, activists or whatever with any good ideas please get in contact before it all goes wrong.    Pil

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply