Mountain Project Logo

Sport Climbing in Spain

Original Post
Kalani Hawkshaw · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 0

I am heading to Europe for a month and going to be spending 3 nights and 4 days in Spain and I would like to at least get a good days worth of sport climbing in. Any suggestions as to where I should head to hit up some iconic routes? 

I can climb grades between 5.10b to 5.12

Thank You!!

Kaleb H · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 5

I've never climbed in Spain but this guide from moja gear might be helpful!

http://mojagear.com/journal/2017/03/01/a-tale-of-ten-thousand-crags-how-to-climb-in-spain/

mountainhick · · Black Hawk, CO · Joined Mar 2009 · Points: 120

Have a look at the International forum. Several threads about climbing in Spain/Catalunya

Robin S · · OR · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 30

Where in Spain will you be? I've climbed in the Madrid area, at La Pidreza as well as Los Galayos. I seem to recall their being some local groups of climbers who carpool and climb together.

khammer · · Kinda All Over · Joined Mar 2013 · Points: 20

Spain is insanely full of climbing. So far the two recommendations you've gotten La Pedriza and Galayos are among the very few trad areas in Spain and not what you are looking for (well Pedriza has runout bolted slabs and a couple sport routes). You mentioned getting in one day of sport climbing, I would not worry about finding a days worth of climbing, you will be a stones throw from a crag at all times while in Spain, it is so full of rock. 

Some areas I personally like:

Rodellar: North East Spain. "World Class" Tons of single pitch from easy to insanely hard. Lots of hard stuff although plenty for the grades you mentioned.

Riglos: North East Spain. Multipitch sport on conglomerate rock. If your looking to climb long routes this is it.

El Chorro: South Central Spain. Literally lifetimes worth of climbing single and multipitch

Costa Blanca: South East. Tons of single and multi.

Picos de Europa/Desfiladero de la Hermida: North Central Spain. Great alpine stuff in the Picos, but La Hermida is full of months worth of single pitch sport.

There are TONS of other areas. Including world class areas I have left out as I haven't been to them personally.

I would recommend using ukclimbing.com for their crag lists, similar to MP but more Euro focused. 

Have fun!

Hank Caylor · · Glenwood Springs, CO · Joined Dec 2003 · Points: 615

GO TO RIGLOS!!! Khammer snailed it.

ddriver · · SLC · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 410
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply