Camping for Mt. Gretna (PA)

Original Post
Timothy Nooney · · Denver, CO · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 45
  1. Looking to camp at Mt. Gretna for a night. Ideally I'd like to find a free space to camp. Does anyone have any experience with this area?
Jake Cramer 1 · · State College, PA · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 80

Hey there! I grew up 10 minutes away from mount gretna, and unfortunately there's not much nearby. The closest legal, free, primitive camping can be found in Weiser State Forest, about 45 minutes north of the area. One piece of advice is definitely DO NOT try to camp on the surrounding state game lands. Tempting as it is, it's against the rules, and local WCO's will be out in force with the upcoming start of turkey season. I've found that they don't take kindly to guerrilla campers...

Nathan Flaim · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2013 · Points: 0

Out of curiosity I looked up the rates at the few local campgrounds at Mt. Gretna.  

I'm honestly in shock at the prices.  They all seem to want around $40 for a tent site.  One place even charges you a surcharge if you use your own tent!

What has our nation come to when a site to pitch your tent costs nearly as much as a budget hotel room?

I live 90 minutes from Gretna, but you're welcome to pitch a tent in my yard rather than pay for that rediculous sh!?

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply