Mountain Project Logo

Toronto Crane Climber: Can anyone tell me how this young lady got up there?


Original Post
Optimistic · · New Paltz · Joined Aug 2007 · Points: 300

http://www.vancouversun.com/toronto+firefighters+rescue+woman+scaled+construction+crane+stuck+more+than/13325456/story.html

I don't see a harness on her, and the only ropes appear to be the fire department's...  Pretty surreal!

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
Optimistic wrote:

http://www.vancouversun.com/toronto+firefighters+rescue+woman+scaled+construction+crane+stuck+more+than/13325456/story.html

I don't see a harness on her, and the only ropes appear to be the fire department's...  Pretty surreal!

From your link:

"They believe, however, that she climbed up the crane, crawled out on to the end of it, and slid down a cable to the large pulley device where she got stranded."


Optimistic · · New Paltz · Joined Aug 2007 · Points: 300
Marc801 C wrote:

From your link:

"They believe, however, that she climbed up the crane, crawled out on to the end of it, and slid down a cable to the large pulley device where she got stranded."


Interesting.  They must've added that after I read the story this morning. I guess it's the only way, but it seems like it'd be pretty hard to do without losing control. I would think that cable would be pretty much rigid with the tension it was under, and pretty slick.

Tony T. · · Denver, CO · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 45

Wonfor also said he was feeling fine, although fatigued after carrying heavy equipment on an already intense climb.

But the firefighter had no intention of resting, and noted he was heading to play in a hockey tournament for the remainder of the day.

Ohhhh Canada!  

Paaaaalms sweaty just thinking about this, let alone looking at the pictures.  

Mike Brady · · Van Diesel, OR · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 681

That footage makes my peepee tingling!!

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 2,745

Not to second guess the FD, but it would have been quicker to get the crane operator to lower the cable to the ground so she could hop off.

Mike Brady · · Van Diesel, OR · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 681
Gunkiemike wrote:

Not to second guess the FD, but it would have been quicker to get the crane operator to lower the cable to the ground so she could hop off.

The FD recommended that but the operator was worried about the pinch points from the pivot swaying.

Parker Wrozek · · Denver, CO · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 83

The music in the video is amazing. 

rging · · Salt Lake City, Ut · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 210

If you at the closeup her arm is around the cable. I seriously doubt they could have lowered her while she was sitting on top of that pulley.

Tony T. · · Denver, CO · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 45
Gunkiemike wrote:

Not to second guess the FD, but it would have been quicker to get the crane operator to lower the cable to the ground so she could hop off.

I actually edited my original post to ask that, but then I took a second look at the picture and she really was in the way of a lot of moving parts.  Now, if she went all Cliffhanger on us and just did a one arm pull up on the hook while being lowered she would have been totally fine.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply

Log In to Reply