Mountain Project Logo

Stone Mountain NC Saturday 4/29

Original Post
fromtheestuary · · North Carolina · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 60

Looking to get on some slab this Saturday if it remains clear. Who's down? 

Brian Payst · · Carrboro,NC · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 10

Forecast for there is 85 and sunny. That's pretty horrendous for Stone unless you get a really early start and get off before it melts the rubber off your shoes.

spellstrike · · Duluth · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 23

IDK, Looks like partly cloudy  and high of 78 to me.

I've got a trip planned for stone that day.

stolo · · Shelby, NC · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 115

Looking to go to Linville on 4/29... concerned about rock still being wet

Scott Phil · · NC · Joined May 2010 · Points: 196

The feds generate most of the data that all the other weather services use. 

Here is their forecast from weather.gov.

Definitely go for an early start. The rock faces south and heats up quickly.  30% chance of thunderstorms in the afternoon might prove exciting--especially if you are 20-30 feet above your last bolt when it hits.

Jordan W · · NC · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 10

Rock seemed to be getting drier up in Linville when we left yesterday. We were on Black Mountain Crest messing around during the rain this past week and it was gushing 48hrs after there the rain stopped. I'd imagine you'd be good to go this weekend, except for maybe a few shady spots.

Stone Mountain will be an oven in those temps.

Jake Jones · · Richmond, VA · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 1,480

I went Memorial Day last year.  The forecasted temp was 80 degrees.  Got kind of a late start.  Didn't start up U Slot till about 10.  That runout was pretty hairy because I was blinded by the sun coming up over the top directly in my line of sight, I was sweating bullets, and the rubber stopped sticking well once the sun hit.  Definitely get an early start.  It's doable, but it's not ideal.  Moore's isn't far away at all, it's generally north/northwest facing, and 85 will be a hell of a lot more comfy there than it will at Stone.  Just a friendly suggestion.

Jonathan Dull · · Boone, NC · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 405

I'd have to agree with everyone - Saturday looks really hot for Stone. Below is a good local forecast for the area and NW WNC in general. 

http://wilkesweather.com/Forecast/Roaring+River

stolo · · Shelby, NC · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 115
Jonathan Dull wrote:

I'd have to agree with everyone - Saturday looks really hot for Stone. Below is a good local forecast for the area and NW WNC in general. 

http://wilkesweather.com/Forecast/Roaring+River

86* yikes, already miss winter... 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply