Mountain Project Logo

Yosemite Climbing partner May 6th-7th

Original Post
Tori T · · CA · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 0

I was looking to climb Yosemite May 6-7th weekend, and prob run some trails. It's been difficult to find any campsite for that weekend--but I presume there's the ability to just sleep on a rock somewhere overnight? Anyone try this yet? I have a 60m rope, and looking to see if anyone wants to carpool from the bay area too. Thanks, Tori

Cory B · · Fresno, CA · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 2,577

Your best bet is to bivy outside the park if you can't get a site. Be sure to check regularly on recreation.gov - you might get lucky with a cancellation

everbrad · · Orange County · Joined Sep 2011 · Points: 10

What happened to the Shasta climb?

El portal pullouts -https://www.mountainproject.com/forum/topic/112833091/el-portal140-bivy

Cory B · · Fresno, CA · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 2,577
everbrad wrote:

What happened to the Shasta climb?

El portal pullouts -https://www.mountainproject.com/forum/topic/112833091/el-portal140-bivy

Ha! I didn't notice it was the same poster. I still hope to be on Shasta that weekend. Casaval ridge looks beauty right now!

I'm thinking Yosemite if Shasta is not in good conditions. Shasta is still there though. ha

Oh, ok--I'm in for Casaval Ridge if it all looks good then. Thanks!

everbrad · · Orange County · Joined Sep 2011 · Points: 10

Busted! HAHAHA

Well I hope you (both) make a go for the ridge, I bet the conditions are awesome, I spent a week up there last year thinking it was a heavy snow season, guess I should have waited, I could be convinced to use a long weekend to make a go for the ridge if plans fall through

edit: Tori the ridges are in better shape early in the season compared to the gulch that is battered with avalanches (hence the name) when there is heavy snow making it better suited for late season climbs, the bum rush up the gulch usually starts memorial day weekend

Clint Cummins · · Palo Alto, CA · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 1,738

Like C Brooks said, best is to sleep outside the park on Friday night.  From Oakland, that's on 120 now that it has reopened.

You can camp for free there on US Forest Service land - the popular side roads on 120 just outside the park are Hardin Flat Road and Evergreen Road.

P.S. I remember your name from when you ran for Gunn HS!  (My daughter Renata ran for Paly).  Cool to see you are into climbing now!

Marnix · · Amsterdam · Joined Jun 2011 · Points: 0

Few sites opened up just now in the park on recreation.gov

Cool, Thanks guys! 

Hey Clint--Tell Renata I said "Hi"! Yeah, been getting more into climbing recently (Still running though). 

Clint Cummins · · Palo Alto, CA · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 1,738
Tori Tyler wrote:

Tell Renata I said "Hi"! Yeah, been getting more into climbing recently (Still running though). 

Cool - just told her.  She is more into biking these days, due to an old navicular bone fracture in her foot.  It's great that you're still running.

I checked and still have photos I took from one of the Gunn vs. Paly races at Crystal Springs in 2004, so if you want any copies, just let me know.

Maybe we'll run into each other climbing in the Valley, once the weather gets more friendly?  It's a small world in climbing.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northern California
Post a Reply to "Yosemite Climbing partner May 6th-7th"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.