Midwest/East Coast Trad Gear

Original Post
Matthew Stark · · Indianapolis, IN · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 0

Hey all. I'm sort of new in the trad business, having only trad climbed in the Red River Gorge so far. I have a decent set of cams, but I was wondering if I needed any additional pieces for the following places: New River Gorge, South Central Pennsylvania, the Gunks, and the Adirondacks. (Edit: Maybe Seneca too!)

What I have so far:
Doubles in BD sizes .2 through #1
DMM Wallnut set 1-11
#2 and #3 BD C4's
a 60m rope

What I know i need:
Tricams set (especially pink)

Anything seem egregiously wrong or out of place? Will i need a 70m rope for east coast climbing? Bigger cams? Any advice is appreciated!

steverett · · San Diego, CA · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 40

Tricams are handy but not necessary, you're totally fine with the stuff you have. I climbed for years in the Northeast with an almost identical rack.

Only thing I'd add is plenty of slings (shoulder & double); in the Gunks a lot of placements are slightly off route or under roofs, so slings are necessary.

Matthew Stark · · Indianapolis, IN · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 0

I've got plenty of draws, both sport and alpine. I'm mainly concerned with additional protection I might need. Thanks for the information though!

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 1,865

A second #2 Camalot will come in handy quite often.

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 45

At some point, you will need a #4.  It won't happen often, but when it does, you will REALLY need it.

Luc-514 · · Montreal, Quebec · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 8,438

A set of DMM Offsets would be handy

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply