Anyone tried either Epic Peak or U Craft Belay Glasses?

Original Post
Dim Bulb · Apr 26, 2017 · Unknown Hometown · Joined 27 days ago · Points: 0

And, apologize in advance if it's a no-no to talk about them (as a search surprisingly yielded nothing). They both look like cheaper versions of other products, and one usually pays for what you get in either quality or warranty. But, still looking for any experiences/opinions:

Epic Peak: http://amzn.to/2plh088

UCraft (these have a Ti frame): http://amzn.to/2qeDZPy 

crackatoa · Apr 26, 2017 · Boulder,Co · Joined May 2014 · Points: 10

I've used the epic peak ones.. they were sweet... worked well and you can't beat the price tag.. especially with a carry case!

Aaron Wohlfeil · May 2, 2017 · Grand Rapids · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 0

Look like a good deal right?  Especially if you're concerned about them getting lost or damaged at the crag. I've been thinking about buying a pair of the epic peaks, so I'll post here with an update

Keith W · May 2, 2017 · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2015 · Points: 50

I have the epic peak glasses. They definitely do the job. My only issue is that I wear regular glasses as well and it takes a bit of fiddling with them to get them to sit just right against my glasses. That being said, they work well and the price is right.

anotherclimber · May 2, 2017 · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 0

I haven't tried any of these, but I notice that the Ucraft looks almost identical to the Y&Y Classic Belay Glasses for $30 less. My casual observation of the few I've tried from other climbers is that metal frames are generally less obstructing of peripheral vision that you need when you use belay glasses. If these are the two you are considering, I'd go with the Ucraft. 

Carl Schaefer · May 2, 2017 · Boulder, CO · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 84
anotherclimber wrote:

I haven't tried any of these, but I notice that the Ucraft looks almost identical to the Y&Y Classic Belay Glasses for $30 less. My casual observation of the few I've tried from other climbers is that metal frames are generally less obstructing of peripheral vision that you need when you use belay glasses. If these are the two you are considering, I'd go with the Ucraft. 

Except that they have a 90° prism, while 60° is typical for belay glasses.  I'm a big fan of Y&Y, which has a 60° prism, and think 90° would show me too much of my helmet

reboot · May 2, 2017 · . · Joined Jul 2006 · Points: 50
Carl Schaefer wrote:

Except that they have a 90° prism, while 60° is typical for belay glasses.  I'm a big fan of Y&Y, which has a 60° prism, and think 90° would show me too much of my helmet

They all have right angle (90°) prisms: this doesn't say anything about the other 2 angles, which all seem to be 30° & 60°.

sherb · May 2, 2017 · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 0

I used to own Belay Specs.  I own Epic Peak belay glasses.  I have tried Y&Y glasses. Regarding Epic Peak, they are heavier and larger than Belay Specs and Y&Y.  

My Belay specs were light and could balance at the end of my nose to wear sunglasses, and to look at how much slack there is.   Featherweight and didn't feel like they were there, but the lens made my eyes hurt - a problem unique to me, as wearing glasses also hurts my eyes.  Because the lens is small and placed at the end of nose, I could dart my eyes down to my hands to how much slack I had, and up to the climber, who appeared small..  Plenty of peripheral vision because the arms curve away from your head.

The Y&Y were small and light, and I liked them, but I only borrowed.

The Epic Peak are heavy and large, my climbing partner remarked they looked huge on my face.  They felt like they were going to fall off, so I bought a strap for it, and it held tight to my face, but because it is so close to my eyes and has a large lens, my entire field of vision is covered by the lens.  I can't see how much slack I have, I have to go by feel.  The large size of the lens made the climber very clear and large, and didn't hurt my eyes as bad to focus.  Unfortunately, the strap + the weight makes my nose hurt over a long belaying session.

sDawg · May 2, 2017 · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 0

I have the CUs and they are worth every penny. The smaller lenses and lack of external plastic frame gives me a great ability to keep track of what's happening on the ground (essential in the gym where topropers often don't know better than to climb right in front of me or under my climber) and prevents me from getting dizzy looking through them. If you keep them in the box and don't lose them, they'll last longer than any other piece of climbing gear and the price won't be an issue in the long run.

Mark Parson · May 3, 2017 · Rexburg, Idaho · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 0

I have a pair of LePirates (same price range) that have been great so far. https://www.lepirateglasses.com/index/english/belay-glasses/

Apsu · May 3, 2017 · Madison, WI · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 5

I picked up the Epic Peak ones over the weekend at Miguel's and now that I have them I can't imagine not using them. Quality seems good, case is handy and the sort of rubbery coating on them keeps them secure to my face, even when they're really low on my nose for the first bolt or two.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply