Mountain Project Logo

which rope to buy?

Original Post
laura smith · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 0

hi there 

im just starting out with climbing, I have been climbing far a little while with someone else using their gear, I want to start getting my own gear but an a little unsure on what size rope I should buy.

id really appreciate the help

cheers 

Bryan K · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 525

It depends on what style of climbing you are planning on doing.  It would help to give some additional details.

Ryan Hamilton · · Orem · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 5

bkozak is right. However, the sort of standard these days is a 9.7 mm 70 meter rope. 9.7 is a good thickness, especially as your first rope, but 9.4 are getting pretty common and I really like my Tendon Master 9.4. Check the listings for routes you're going to climb in your area for the length. Remember that a 100 ft. route is going to need 200 ft. total to get back down, meaning a 60 meter rope is just barely long enough. 

r m · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 0

I went with a 50m 10.5mm for my first rope. Suitable for a lot of top roping, and long enough for the pitches I was tackling.

You need to match your rope to your belay device to a degree. Eg A  Grigri2 is shit with 10.5mm, but an atc provides a pleasing amount of friction at that diameter.

Length is a bit region dependant. 50m can often be found on sale, but 60m is expected in some places, and even 70 in others.

Ignore dry and other coatings, they'll just serve to drive the price up.

Bill Czajkowski · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Oct 2008 · Points: 20

I'd get whatever was cheapest from a reputable rope manufacturer in the 9.8 to 10.5 mm range if it was my first rope. Make sure it's a dynamic climbing rope. If you're just rock climbing I'd probably skip dry treatment and biweave patterns and that expensive stuff. For length, look at where you plan to use it the most but it's hard to go wrong with a 70 m, don't get less than 60.

a beach · · northeast · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 426
laura smith · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 0

thanks for all the replies

I would be using the rope for top roping.

Figured that was probably the case.  A 60M dynamic rope is perfect for just about anywhere.  For toproping, get a thicker mm rope, like a 10mm or more.  My first rope I got was an Edelrid Python and I cannot recommend it enough.  I have used it a bunch the past 2 years and it is still in great shape.  Backcountry has it on sale for $128, which is a good deal.

https://www.backcountry.com/edelrid-python-standard-climbing-rope-10.0mm?CMP_SKU=ELR0006&MER=0406&skid=ELR0006-CAR-S60M&CMP_ID=PLA_GOc001&mv_pc=r101&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=PLA&mr:trackingCode=A45ADA71-61CB-E311-9242-BC305BF82376&mr:referralID=NA&mr:device=c&mr:adType=plaonline&gclid=CjwKEAjw5_vHBRCBtt2NqqCDjiESJABD5rCJr7yktz02dvaGLiEF1EWmRQrYrOQ-eMtST8hhjLmakRoCRzrw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Also, Gear Express has a killer deal on an Edelweiss rope, only $95 for a 60M rope.  Only thing I'll add is that I have another Edelweiss and it has worn much quicker than my Edelrid, so I still highly recommend the Python above, even though it's a bit more.  Gear Express also has some other great deals.

http://www.gearexpress.com/edelweiss-curve-9-8mm-rope-1.html

As well, getting a static rope if highly advised for setting up anchors, but it depends on the area.  If you climb at an area with trees as anchors, static rope is killer.  100 feet of 10mm static rope will allow you to set up an anchor anywhere with no issues at all.

Though I have to give another bump for the link that beach shared above.  Though you should be weary of buying soft goods second-hand (anything nylon or dyneema), that is a killer deal for a really nice rope.  Plus, it's been kept in a closet in a bag and lightly used, so it will be great shape, especially for just toproping.  And it comes with a tarp!  Super steal of a deal.

Chris Fedorczak · · Portland, OR · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 0
Also, Gear Express has a killer deal on an Edelweiss rope, only $95 for a 60M rope. 

This is a great beginner rope. I got a 70m of this make/model, cut it in half, and split it as a gym lead rope with a climbing buddy. Feeds well through a grigri or ATC on lead. Would be great for toproping too. 

Zach Joing · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 85

Mammut Infinity 9.5 70 m  dry treated

Chris Fedorczak · · Portland, OR · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 0
Zach Joing wrote:

Mammut Infinity 9.5 70 m  dry treated

It's a great rope, but the OP said TR only. Bit of overkill for that.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "which rope to buy?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started