Bulging veins and chronic pains

Original Post
grog m aka Greg McKee · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 70

Do the veins in your biceps bulge after a fresh send? Do your forearm veins look like the amazon river? Are you the hunch-back of notre dame? 

My bicep viens definitely bulge. And after a two hour gym session I am wiped. 10 years of doing this has resulted in some sweet biceps...but some super underdeveloped triceps...why do I have elbow tendinitis again?!? I do 3 sets of 10 push ups each climbing session?? 

I can't believe I actually deluded myself into thinking that was enough. Does 30 pushups really compensate for two hours of pulling hard? ABSOLUTELY NOT!! After a couple months of devoting entire workouts to pushing muscles my tendinitis has not returned. 

A lot of climbers are super guilty of not being balanced. Myself included. What's more fun, climbing with my hot gf or doing dumbbell presses? A common trap.

Just some food for thought. 

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 190

For sure.  Don't neglect the upper forearm muscles either...reverse wrist curls have helped me a lot.

cjohns716 · · Boulder, CO · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 0

Just got to experience this. I've had lots of free time during the day to boulder on my own, resulting in a lot of intense powerful climbing in a short period of time. My elbow and wrist started to really ache during and after climbing. Found this routine and did it 2-3 times a week and now, no pain. I also included some finger extensions with a rubber band from some broccoli on my finger tips. Put your fingers together, slide the band on, and open your fingers as wide as you can. 

http://www.climbing.com/skills/targeted-opposition/

Nick Drake · · Newcastle, WA · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 483

Press with dumbbells instead of just doing push ups, your body weight isn't enough resistance. Going with dumbbells instead of a bar will show if you have more weakness on one side (most of us do).

Weighted dips are good also, you'll never struggle on mantles. 

Anyone save the old DPM "the one workout every climber should do" article that had a bunch of prehab exercises for shoulders? That got ride of my hunchback issues.

amockalypsenow · · San Diego · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 690
Nick Drake wrote:

Press with dumbbells instead of just doing push ups, your body weight isn't enough resistance. Going with dumbbells instead of a bar will show if you have more weakness on one side (most of us do).

Weighted dips are good also, you'll never struggle on mantles. 

Anyone save the old DPM "the one workout every climber should do" article that had a bunch of prehab exercises for shoulders? That got ride of my hunchback issues.

"the one workout every climber should do" ....so, what is it?

Well DPM doesnt exist anymore but it was a bunch of shoulder exercises...might be able to find it on my other computer...

People with elbow problems need to BLAST their triceps just as hard as they work the biceps. 

Simon W · · Nowhere Land · Joined May 2013 · Points: 50
grog m aka Greg McKee 

People with elbow problems need to BLAST their triceps just as hard as they work the biceps. 

Don't forget to BLAST your glutes as well.  Equally important in maintaining balance.  Most climbing is done with the glutes.

Care to explain? Or is this humorous?

Nick Drake · · Newcastle, WA · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 483
amockalypsenow wrote:

"the one workout every climber should do" ....so, what is it?

Well dpm is gone and I never saved the text.

steve Edwards made videos and some info on his site. Best save this, Steve passed awayso no telling how long his site will be there:

http://steveedwardsfitness.com/the-one-workout-every-one-should-do/

Long Ranger · · Boulder, Colorado · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 75
Nick Drake wrote:

Press with dumbbells instead of just doing push ups, your body weight isn't enough resistance. 

Another option in your arsenal is working toward handstand pushups (keep bringing your feet higher and higher on top of things), which needs less equipment, is a great stretch for your forearms, and works on balance/body awareness in a way you may be unfamiliar with just climbing. The amount of bodyweight-only exercises is quite boggling. 

reboot · · . · Joined Jul 2006 · Points: 125
Long Ranger wrote:

Another option in your arsenal is working toward handstand pushups, which needs less equipment, is a great stretch for your forearms, and works on balance/body awareness in a way you may be unfamiliar with just climbing. The amount of bodyweight-only exercises is quite boggling. 

Exactly. If body weight isn't enough resistance then gymnasts would all be a bunch of weaklings. If regular pushups are too easy there is always one handed pushup. If that's too easy, there is planche (and pushups in planche). If that's too easy, spread your arms. And if that's still too easy, well, consider competing in gymnastics.

Anyway, one (climbing) functional exercise that also works your triceps is off-set pullups. Adjust the distance of the grip so that when one arm is completely locked off the other arm is straight pushing downward.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply