Ignore User Function

Original Post
Seth Jones · · New Lenox, IL · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 5

I know it's been discussed before but it'd be awesome if you guys could add a feature to allow us to ignore threads and posts from specific users. Whether they are annoying, rude, starving for attention, arrogant, trollish, or whatever, I know we can all name a few users we'd prefer to just not see content from. Just a thought.

Ryan Nevius · · Estes Park, Colorado · Joined Dec 2010 · Points: 824

If this ends up being off the table, I'd be happy to make a browser extension to do something similar. Let's wait and see.

Abram Herman · · Golden, CO · Joined May 2009 · Points: 0

+1

Nick Wilder · · The Bubble · Joined Jan 2005 · Points: 1,536

It's on our list, but kind of low priority.  Probably not real soon...

Do you have examples of other sites that do this?  I've been wondering how we'd implement it exactly.  For example, show a small indicator that a given user's message is suppressed and allow you to toggle it open?

Nick Wilder wrote:

Do you have examples of other sites that do this?  I've been wondering how we'd implement it exactly.  For example, show a small indicator that a given user's message is suppressed and allow you to toggle it open?

Yeah, that's how I'd envision it. Reddit does this, even though it's kind of a different functionality; if a comment is scoring very low it gets hidden, with a short message and the option to expand it so it becomes visible. On MP it wouldn't be based on voting, but if we "ignored" a certain user then all of their comments and posts could be hidden in this way.

Might help to raise the level of discourse on the site if certain users could just be ignored permanently.

jmmlol · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 0
Abram Herman wrote:

Yeah, that's how I'd envision it. Reddit does this, even though it's kind of a different functionality; if a comment is scoring very low it gets hidden, with a short message and the option to expand it so it becomes visible. On MP it wouldn't be based on voting, but if we "ignored" a certain user then all of their comments and posts could be hidden in this way.

Might help to raise the level of discourse on the site if certain users could just be ignored permanently.

That's why Reddit is garbage though.

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 0

Isn't the entire point of a discussion forum to hear different voices and ideas? Y'all are climbers FFS. Are you that delicate that you can't simply ignore someone without special tools? Grow some neck meat and learn to endure the wang-slap.

jmmlol wrote:

That's why Reddit is garbage though.

Yeah reddit really sucks, that must be why it gets 10 million unique visitors a month. /s

Marc801 C wrote:

Isn't the entire point of a discussion forum to hear different voices and ideas? Y'all are climbers FFS. Are you that delicate that you can't simply ignore someone without special tools? Grow some neck meat and learn to endure the wang-slap.

Some people don't do anything but troll, and all it does is clutter up discussions and annoy people. Sure I can ignore it, just like I've done for the last 8 years that I've been on this site. Some users I'd rather just not see at all, though. I guess I'm just not as into getting my neck meat wang-slapped as some, but hey, different strokes and all... I won't judge you for it.

Marc801 C wrote:

Different voices and ideas are fine but the constant mucking up of threads by a few needy members sucks. Sorting through piles of BS to get to useful content gets old.

jmmlol · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 0
Abram Herman wrote:

Yeah reddit really sucks, that must be why it gets 10 million unique visitors a month. /s

10 million uniquely similar people looking for a pat on the back in the echo chamber.

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 0
Seth Jones wrote:

Different voices and ideas are fine but the constant mucking up of threads by a few needy members sucks. Sorting through piles of BS to get to useful content gets old.

I find that less objectionable/easier to bypass than the now no longer funny Yer Gonna Die obligatory posts.

John Barritt · · OKC · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 888
Seth Jones wrote:

John, LOL! Anyone who has gotten that as a response from me would be some of the first to get ignored. And hey, if you don't like what I post, you could ignore me. Everyone wins.

Marc, at least the "Ur gonna die" posts are short, although I agree they are way past being funny. The constant rambling in multi-page posts is what annoys me the most. Combine that with the new quote function format that includes the whole chain of quotes, threads are getting really hard to follow.

Edited to eliminate the retarded chain of quotes.

LOL! Anyone who has gotten that as a response from me would be some of the first to get ignored. And hey, if you don't like what I post, you could ignore me. Everyone wins.

And Marc, at least the "Ur gonna die" posts are short, although I agree they are way past being funny. The constant rambling in multi-page posts is what annoys me the most. Combine that with the new quote function format that includes the whole chain of quotes, threads are getting really hard to follow.

What would really be cool is if a little (hotdog) wiener would appear next to your user name when you use the feature. Then it would be easier for you to identify "like minded" people ;)

PS I used to think dudes with Yukon Corelius and/or wearing Viking hats in their avatars were cool, but now I'm not so sure.

PSS I'm on here for entertainment, not "meaningful content" so I would never use the weenie button, ever, except on Marc, no, not even then ;) JB

MojoMonkey · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2009 · Points: 63

The nice thing about Reddit at least is when two or more people go off on a tangent trying to out nitpick each other on a way off topic side discussion, I could just close the entire chain of stupidity instead of trying to follow the original thread that is sometime sprinkled in around it (and the chrous of people telling them to take the useless discussion elsewhere). There have been some good threads I've given up trying to follow when it deteriorates to bickering amongst a few. A general user block might be worse overall if they generally contribute useful posts but sometimes get roped into bickering.

s.price · · PS,CO · Joined Dec 2010 · Points: 1,018
Nick Wilder wrote:

A distillation forum I am on has a friend or foe option in the user control panel allowing an individual to build a list of either highlighted posts or ignored posts.

I have never used it. Most of the conversations there remain civil and informative. 

Here on MP I have never had a problem just ignoring certain users. Might be nicer if they just didn't show up in my little MP world. 

I know what you mean Price, I've been meaning to ask you.......How did Vas get that photo of you when you were young wearing make-up and that funny hat to use as his avatar photo?

Wait a minute........ ;)

John Barritt wrote:

PS I used to think dudes with Yukon Corelius and/or wearing Viking hats in their avatars were cool, but now I'm not so sure.

It's best not to second-guess your initial instincts ;)

s.price · · PS,CO · Joined Dec 2010 · Points: 1,018
John Barritt wrote:

I know what you mean Price, I've been meaning to ask you.......How did Vas get that photo of you when you were young wearing make-up and that funny hat to use as his avatar photo?

Wait a minute........ ;)

That's the disguise I wear when micro taking on softly graded boulder problems here in Colorado.  

s.price wrote:

That's the disguise I wear when micro taking on softly graded boulder problems here in Colorado.  

You just about split my side on that one Price, I was still laughing at Seth's instinct post when I read yours ;)

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply