Tenaya Inti questions

Original Post
Kathie R · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 260

Hello. So I am on the market for a quality beater gym shoe and have come across an insanely cheap Tenaya Inti for $30 on close out in (what I think is) my size.  I have no experience with this shoe and can't seem to find one in store to try.  I've got a reliable quiver that I want to save for projecting and harder outdoor climbs and would like to know how sizing and performance works with the Intis.  I currently climb on 36.5 men's solutions for bouldering, 38 vapor-v women's for gym climbing and five-ten Anasazi lvs in a 7 and 6.5 as my go to projecting shoe.  Five tens are my favorite by far & always go back to them whenever I need to buy new shoes.  I heard the intis are very comparable to the anasazis and are a good value for the price.  

For those that own them what are your thoughts??? How do I pick the correct women's size in these?  I am a 5.5 on the men's Anasazi & Dragon if that helps.

Mike Brady · · Van Diesel, OR · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 681

Not sure how many women are using SizeSquirrel but that could be a good starting point. 

Joe Memory · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 0

Tenaya shoes are super comfortable, so I've heard you can get away with downsizing pretty aggressively. Personally I bought a half size smaller than my street shoes and they've worked out great for me

Brandt Allen · · Joshua Tree, Cal · Joined Jan 2004 · Points: 215

I don't have any of the shoes you wear so I can't compare those, but perhaps I can give you some help. Not all Tenaya models will feel the same in any given size. I have a pair of Masais in size 9.5 (Eur 42.5) that are about a year old and have stretched some; they are still snug but very comfortable. I just bought some Intis in size 9 (Eur 42) that haven't broken in much yet; they are very tight but are ok for short routes. My street shoe size is 9.5, so as you see I have not downsized all that much.

Lena chita · · Cleveland, OH · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 250
Kathie R wrote:

Hello. So I am on the market for a quality beater gym shoe and have come across an insanely cheap Tenaya Inti for $30 on close out in (what I think is) my size.  I have no experience with this shoe and can't seem to find one in store to try.  I've got a reliable quiver that I want to save for projecting and harder outdoor climbs and would like to know how sizing and performance works with the Intis.  I currently climb on 36.5 men's solutions for bouldering, 38 vapor-v women's for gym climbing and five-ten Anasazi lvs in a 7 and 6.5 as my go to projecting shoe.  Five tens are my favorite by far & always go back to them whenever I need to buy new shoes.  I heard the intis are very comparable to the anasazis and are a good value for the price.  

For those that own them what are your thoughts??? How do I pick the correct women's size in these?  I am a 5.5 on the men's Anasazi & Dragon if that helps.

Lena chita · · Cleveland, OH · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 250

I'm 36 in Testarossa's, and when I climbed in Iati's for a day (shoe demo) I tried size 5. I liked them. I think I could have also fit into 4.5, but they didn't have them. YMMW.

aikibujin · · Castle Rock, CO · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 290

The Anasazi were my favorite shoes until I got a pair of Tenaya Ra. I also have a pair of Takanta now too, but unfortunately not the Inti. If it helps, I wear about the same size in all three shoes, downsized about one full size from my street shoes.

Obviously the fit is very important, but the Inti is a very capable shoe if it fits you. Mark Anderson prefer the Inti for his hard projects, he sent Shadow Boxing last year in a pair of Inti. For $30 that's a real steal.

Kathie R · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 260

Thank you very much for the input! After hearing the positive things you guys have to say about Tenayas I'm pretty much convinced it can be a good buy. I will likely order a 5.5.  I heard they stretch quite a bit  and I'm pretty used to my shoes tight.  At a men's 5.5 it would be about the same size I wear with my five tens. I will give my thoughts about them soon as I get them!

Matt Himmelstein · · Orange, California · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 115

Any other size available?  I love my Inti and Ras they are close to interchnagable in my opinion) and I am forever looking out for deals that are as cheap, or cheaper, than a resole.

Keep in mind, Tenaya uses a pretty sticky rubber, so I don't get a ton of mileage out of them in the gym.  I don't think it is any worse than any other high end shoe.

Will Haden · · KC, MO · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 90

Not sure if this will be helpful, but I wear an 11.5 street shoe and 11.5 Intis are perfect for me. They are my go-to for cragging and gym use. 

Nate Doyle · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 10

Kathie R, if these are the shoes I think they are, I bought them for my daughter. They went down to $30 because that was the offer I made last night and they accepted it.

By the way, I love my Tenaya Tatanka and this even though they are WAY too small for me (I only get one short route out of them and then comes the hurt.) I'm one of those people who can't size down at all and am starting to think I need to size up to 14 on all shoes and this even though I'm a 13 street; 13.5/47.5 trail/boot. Something about the toe box being too tight all the time and pushing my big toe under my other toe.

Anyway, I bought both the Inti in size 5.5 and the 6. That said, if one or both doesn't fit her should I let you know?

There is a size 6 RA from the same seller, for whatever it's worth. It retails for a bit more than the Inti but, maybe they'll take a lower offer as well.

The RA is going to be a slightly wider and with a bit more volume, however (I realize that might not be a good thing since you're a woman trying to fit in men's shoes.)

It [Iati] features a similar last to the best-selling Ra, but with a slightly narrower and lower volume fit

Something to note about Tenayas is that they really don't stretch much.

Climbing shoe size is different for every brand, and your personal preference for tightness is the biggest factor. The following recommendation is a good starting point, but it is not 100% accurate at predicting your perfect size. Take your average size for European and/or U.S. based climbing shoe brands. Your Tenaya size should be approximately 0.0 to 0.5 sizes larger than your average size in European brand shoes, or 0.5 to 1 size smaller than your average size in U.S. brand shoes. Downsize the Oasi and Tarifa 0.5 size smaller than this. Keep in mind that Tenayas will barely stretch at all, which makes sizing more predictable and consistent.

Climb Germany · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 2,525

I've had 3 pairs of Tenayas. In my case (Male, size 10.5 US / ~43/44 EUR) I've gotten my Tenayas a half size down from street size and they've fit perfectly. One I have same size as my street shoes (Masai) and they're great. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply