RRG. Planning to climb at Roadside or the Zoo? Read this.

Original Post
Matt KC · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 20

This is posted on www.redriverclimbing.com. Figured I would post here to relay the message because I didn't see any post about it here. 

"Roadside permit: We’re getting a report from the Roadside land owner that a large percentage of people are accessing the cliff without permits. Our access to this area is contingent upon climbers’ respectful behavior and crag stewardship – it’s a wonderful cliff that many of us enjoy, and we'd like to prevent it from being closed off again. Please get a permit for each person who plans to access this cliff. The permits are limited so the owner offsets the impact to this area. If you cannot get a permit, you’ll have to climb somewhere else.

Zoo approach: The new guidebook directs people upstream to cross over a log, but the owner prefers that you avoid accessing the crag this way (and the next edition of the guidebook will have the correct approach). Please access the Zoo climbing from the parking lot.

We really appreciate everyone’s help and compliance with the owner's request. Spread the word!"

John Ryan · · Poncha Springs, CO · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 165

This crag is worth protecting! For those of you who weren't around for it, Roadside was closed a few years back due to the landowners not caring for what they felt was a lack of respect and stewardship of their land. Please jump through the hoops. I'd love to climb here again someday!

Andrew Krajnik · · Plainfield, IL · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 277

We ran into a group in the parking lot at roadside last October. They asked us about the permits, and we explained the online process. Of course, they didn't have a data connection, so we suggested they head up the road to Miguel's and use the wifi there. I explained the history of closure, and implored them to take the time to get the permit. Someone else walking by threw out an offhand, "I've never seen them check, you'll probably be fine."

It's not difficult to get a permit, and it's worth protecting access to this amazing crag. Please, please please, get the permit, or climb somewhere else!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply