Trad Rack

FOR SALE/WANTED WARNING: Mountain Project cannot verify the identity or trustworthiness of any member. Fraud has happened.
  • Do not use PayPal "gift" payments, wire transfers, Western Union, etc.
  • Use PayPal credit card payments, or other systems that protect you from fraud.
Original Post
KayDoc · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 0

Interested in starting to build a trad rack.  What are peoples preferences?  Cams/nuts/hexes hey love, hate, features that are nice to have, weights of the gear, things to look for in gear, feelings on used gear, etc! and finally, how does everyone like to carry their gear?  I tried a sling and it felt cumbersome and unorganized.  If you are selling, feel free to post as well - pitch me why its a great item/great deal, and if you dare be honest in why your selling it!  Thanks in advance for any advice! 

grant N · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2011 · Points: 3

Hi Kristen,

First off I am not selling anything. 

Second, trad climbing is addictive and you will never be done building your rack. Just to warn you before you start. 

Third, every trad lead climber is like a snowflake, no two like to do things the same way. THE BIGGEST PIECE OF ADVICE I CAN GIVE YOU IS PLAY AROUND WITH DIFFERENT COMPANIES CAMS, HOW YOU RACK YOUR GEAR,  WHAT TYPE OF GEAR YOU HAVE, HOW MANY OF CERTAIN PIECES YOU BRING WITH YOU, HOW YOU LIKE TO SET UP YOUR ANCHOR AND FIND WHAT FEELS RIGHT TO YOU!!!!!!

I personally LOVE TRICAMS.  The reason is they are very versatile, you can use them like a cam or a nut, and sometimes they are the only thing that will work for a placement. 

I climb with a metoulious 4 loop gear sling and my pro is on that. It is separated so that cams are on the back two loops, passive stuff is on one, and the front one I leave for a piece that I know I will be using a quick draw, an a alpine draw & half sling. I keep the rest of those split between my left and right harness gear loop. 

This is what feels comfortable to me. 

Lastly when you are starting out, if you are putting multiple cams on a single biener keep it to only two. If you drop it, you loose two cams. I have seen alot of new trad leaders try more and either drop the whole thing, or when they try to unclip the one they placed one falls free. 

grant N · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2011 · Points: 3

also throw this discussion under the general section as well. you will get suggestions there too

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply