BD Snaggletooth crampons: offset front point torques foot?

Original Post
pjc30943 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 0

I read a review on the Snaggletooth crampons, where the reviewer didn't notice the longer offset single front point causing the foot to torque.

Based on that note in the review, I purchased the snaggletooth to augment my crampon sets. Just standing on a curb on the single front point led to a fair bit of ankle effort to keep the foot upright (nepal cube evo boots).

Is there something I'm missing in my expectations, in that BD is correct that it's standard to exert rotation effort just to stay standing on the points? Do people ever intentionally offset front points on an adjustable monopoint crampons and not mind this ankle torque? Or is the snaggletooth a suboptimal design?

Pete Wilk · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2011 · Points: 0

Standing on a curb isn't necessarily a fair comparison of how it will behave in ice.  Engagement of the secondary points (the downpoints that are closest to the frontpoints) contributes significantly to stability.  In mixed or drytooling, your test is more realistic since nothing but the frontpoint might be touching.  However, consider that all modern monopoint crampons have an offset frontpoint.  How often in rock climbing are you stepping on a foothold with the outside (pinkie toe side) of your foot?  Less often than on the inside (big toe side) of your foot.  Your big toe has significantly more strength than any of the others and all monopoint crampons bias the point towards the big toe.

Some people just prefer dual point crampons of which there are many to choose from.  You might be in that boat.

Ryan Hamilton · · Orem · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 0

It might turn your foot a little, but what Pete said above is true. Standing up on curb without holding onto anything isn't really a test of how it will perform. Most of the time you're doing to be in snow or ice and most mono-point ice crampons are offset like the Snaggletooth. My buddy even sets up his dual points as a Snaggletooth because he likes the stability of kind of having two front points, but being able to use that one front point if he has to get it into a crack or small hold when he's on rock. I think you'll find in actual practice that you like it just fine. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply