Mountain Project Logo

Shitty climbers @ The Gunks

Original Post
Matt Patterson · · Watsontown · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 15

To the guy who walked away with my Lost Arrow Piton/nut tool. Thanks asshole! I was on High E and my friend ( on the ground) lent it to you b/c you were too irresponsible to rack one yourself . Even when we moved on we left you a note with our phone number and came back once while you had an epic meltdown on the GT ledge. 

Chuck Parks · · Atlanta, GA · Joined Jan 2008 · Points: 2,190

Some say he's still up there to this day...

Buck up, there's plenty of pitons out there at the Gunks. Just yank one of those suckers out and make you a new one. I hear Birdland has a bunch of pins on it.

John Barritt · · The 405 · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 1,083
Matt Patterson wrote:

To the guy who walked away with my Lost Arrow Piton/nut tool. Thanks asshole! I was on High E and my friend ( on the ground) lent it to you b/c you were too irresponsible to rack one yourself . Even when we moved on we left you a note with our phone number and came back once while you had an epic meltdown on the GT ledge. 

Your friend owes you a nut tool. My dad used to say "never loan anything you want returned in good condition" JB

RockinOut · · NY, NY · Joined May 2010 · Points: 100

^^^ That.   Sounds like your friend owes you a nut tool and a 6 pack....especially lending out gear that isnt his.  If they were responsible enough to pack something as basic as a nut tool did you really expect to get it back?

I just wanted to throw it out there .... please be courteous to your fellow climbers. I'm sure I will buy another one on eBay, it's just the principle … Apparently the leader had taken their nut tool.  The guy following had issues pulling gear low on the first pitch. Later,  coming out of the roof  he had an epic and apparently refused to repel and walked off the back side ( can you even do that ?) .  My friend was trying to resolve a bad situation quickly and feels pretty bad about lending my stuff out. 

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
Matt Patterson wrote:

....he had an epic and apparently refused to repel and walked off the back side ( can you even do that ?).

If you walk straight downhill to the west, with the cliff-top directly behind you, you eventually reach the Overcliff carriage road.

mediocre · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 0
Matt Patterson wrote:

I just wanted to throw it out there .... please be courteous to your fellow climbers. I'm sure I will buy another one on eBay, it's just the principle … Apparently the leader had taken their nut tool.  The guy following had issues pulling gear low on the first pitch. Later,  coming out of the roof  he had an epic and apparently refused to repel and walked off the back side ( can you even do that ?) .  My friend was trying to resolve a bad situation quickly and feels pretty bad about lending my stuff out. 

You say to be courteous but you called the guy who had a shitty day and forgot to give back a nut tool an asshole?

Yeah, after waiting at the base for 45 min and  2 later attempts to recover it and then leaving a note with a phone number and no call… Yes I did call him an asshole.  I will, I have , and also I expect my climbing partners to go out of their way to help someone in need… but if you cannot be gracious enough to return the favor what does that say…

Jim Bernard · · Westport, MA · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 25

People do crazy sh*t. In April '97 or '98 my partner and I were coming down off Mt Whitney and came across two dudes who were just sitting in the snow at the top of the steep slope above Upper Boy Scout Lake. Turns out one dude had just broken his tib/fib glissading. They had managed to call for help and were waiting for rescue to come up. My buddy and I helped move him to a flatter space and splinted his leg with my buddy's Thermarest. Eventually rescue got there. A Navy helicopter from China Lake (I think) landed right there at UBL and flew him out. We gave him our numbers but never heard from him or got the Thermarest back. I think he lived on an America's cup level racing yacht in San Diego as a crew member and that is why we didn't get a contact number from him. Any of that sound familiar? Anyone know that guy? As said above, don't lend out stuff you really want back.

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
JBernard wrote:

People do crazy sh*t. In April '97 or '98 my partner and I were coming down off Mt Whitney and came across two dudes who were just sitting in the snow at the top of the steep slope above Upper Boy Scout Lake. Turns out one dude had just broken his tib/fib glissading. They had managed to call for help and were waiting for rescue to come up. My buddy and I helped move him to a flatter space and splinted his leg with my buddy's Thermarest. Eventually rescue got there. A Navy helicopter from China Lake (I think) landed right there at UBL and flew him out. We gave him our numbers but never heard from him or got the Thermarest back. I think he lived on an America's cup level racing yacht in San Diego as a crew member and that is why we didn't get a contact number from him. Any of that sound familiar? Anyone know that guy? As said above, don't lend out stuff you really want back.

A lot of times the emergency field dressing stuff that comes in with a patient is discarded by either the ambulance crew or ER staff and the patient and patient's friends are focused on other things.

Jim Bernard · · Westport, MA · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 25
Marc801 C wrote:

A lot of times the emergency field dressing stuff that comes in with a patient is discarded by either the ambulance crew or ER staff and the patient and patient's friends are focused on other things.

No doubt. We were glad to help make the guy more comfortable. Moral of the story though is to ALWAYS use the patient's stuff for field first aid.

SethG · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 291

When I read the title I thought this thread was going to be about what shitty climbers we are in the Gunks.

JBernard  that is pretty funny as I used to work at China Lake quite a bit. I loved Kern Canyon. Thank you for the advice.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northeastern States
Post a Reply to "Shitty climbers @ The Gunks"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started