Bowman Lake Road

Original Post
Tapawingo Markey · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 75

Hey all, checked the TNF website and it said a closure was in effect for Bowman Lake Road through June 1, can anyone confirm this and/or speak to the route conditions right now?

Scoop · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 45

Buried. They may plow to Jackson Meadows. But I'd say mid-June at the earliest.

Thanks Scoop! Been over to the Emeralds lately? 

I hear the road is open, anyone made it up to check out the Emeralds yet?

Daniel Ma · · Truckee, Ca · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 15

The road is open to the emeralds pull out. There is a part of the road that is full of very large stone which might require some careful driving for lower vehicles but other than that it is all good. 

Alex Lloyd · · Santa Cruz, CA · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 30

The section Daniel mentioned is only ~20ft or so, but some of the stones look pretty sharp and are decent sized (but not big enough to make high-clearance mandatory). As of last weekend everything at Emeralds is dry. 

Thanks! I didn't want to drive an hour on a whim.

Alex Saingchin · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 50

How about past The Emeralds turnout towards the other sport crags in Bowman Valley (e.g. Fun House and Larry Land)?  Are those accessible by a regular car?

Thanks! - Alex

King Tut · · Citrus Heights · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 420

Was up there yesterday with my friend Bill Price...South Fork of the Yuba is very, very high. Emeralds is out for now. Benches et al were perfect.

Road to Bowman sill has a couple feet of snow. Some have been driving it a bit with probably very capable 4WD (ie not just your average SUV) but right after the junction to Blue lake or so the road is impassable for normal 4WD (and technically closed well before that as it hasn't been cleared of some fallen trees etc).

Our guess-timate was ~2 weeks for snow melt, dunno what the dirt road is like underneath, and the cement bridge before the damn is reportedly washed out.

Alex Saingchin · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 50

How's Bowman Valley looking these days? Any beta? 

King Tut · · Citrus Heights · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 420
Alex Saingchin wrote:

How's Bowman Valley looking these days? Any beta? 

GTG for a few weeks now. Cement bridge is out so a short walk to Rediscover dome but the road is in good shape otherwise.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply