Mountain Project Logo

Bail Gear on Groover, Laurel Knob

Original Post
Tev · · Hickory · Joined May 2012 · Points: 25

We had to bail near the top of the third pitch of Groover due to a downpour, last Sunday, 4/16.  Had to leave behind a large stopper nut (ABC size 13, blue), two 0.75 Camalots, 3 carabiners and a red cordalette.  We were able to use the bail gear that was at the top of the second pitch, that we left behind (since we didn't see a post on MP about it and figured they may come back to retrieve it), to get to the tree ledge.  We also placed some new cordalette at the tree to make it to the ground.  If you happen to retrieve the gear and wouldn't mind some Karma points, please let me know.  I will gladly reward you for your troubles of returning the gear.  Beer?  Gift card? Cash?  You pick, but please be reasonable.  

Cheers,

Tev

westry whitaker · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 35

Good luck to you... did you post a request on the WNC FB page? You may get some haters, but you may also have some luck. It's getting a bit warm for it, but I'd expect someone to be climbing that route this week - you may find that karma you're hoping for. Cheers.  

I left a message with WNC and Asheville Climbers. Thanks!

Bump!  Now that season is coming up. 

Russ Keane · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 140

That's a lot of gear!!  You stuffed two cams and a huge stopper in there?  

Good for you for protecting your descent... i'm assuming it's been a touch too long at this point to get that gear back, but if you check out the Western Carolina Climbing page on FB, you can see a post from an area guide named Travis (on September 3rd). He found two different bail anchors and they COULD be yours? He's a good guy and would respond kindly to the inquiry. Again, good luck! 

I'll contact him & direct him to this thread. Good luck. 

Travis Weil · · Brevard, NC · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 0

PM sent. I might have your anchor.

Thanks guys!  I'll just have to figure out how to meet up with Travis. May you all have the best times at climbing!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply