Mountain Project Logo

Advice for best way to remove lichen and moss

caesar.salad · · earth · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 75

OK THATS GOOD TO HEAR CARRY ON OUR WAYWARD SON

Brian Payst · · Carrboro,NC · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 10
grant N wrote:

OK THERE IS ONE WALL ITS LIKE 100 FEEL LONG. THERE IS A 25 FOOT AREA IN THE MIDDLE THAT DOESNT HAVE A CLIMB. IT LOOKS LIKE IT HAS A GOOD CLIMB ON IT. NOTHING NEW HAS BEEN PUT ON THAT WALL SINCE 91. IF I KNEW HOW TO DELETE MY OWN TOPIC I WOULD SINCE I GOT THE ADVICE I NEED. THE CCC SAYS GO FOR IT, IN THERE MANAGEMENT PLAN, AS LONG AS IT DOESNT INTERFERE WITH OTHER ROUTES AND I DONT  CHIP ROCKS

And minimize the impacts on vegetation (section 6.3 since you're reading the management plan). I'm just one of the people who helped open the cliff, what do I know. 

Nick Goldsmith · · Pomfret VT · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 440

maybe no one put a route there because it was too vegatated?

Scott Baird · · Hagerstown, MD · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 110
grant N wrote:

OK THERE IS ONE WALL ITS LIKE 100 FEEL LONG. THERE IS A 25 FOOT AREA IN THE MIDDLE THAT DOESNT HAVE A CLIMB. IT LOOKS LIKE IT HAS A GOOD CLIMB ON IT. NOTHING NEW HAS BEEN PUT ON THAT WALL SINCE 91. IF I KNEW HOW TO DELETE MY OWN TOPIC I WOULD SINCE I GOT THE ADVICE I NEED. THE CCC SAYS GO FOR IT, IN THERE MANAGEMENT PLAN, AS LONG AS IT DOESNT INTERFERE WITH OTHER ROUTES AND I DONT  CHIP ROCKS

No ones trying to ride your ass here, they are just trying to make sure you don't screw it up for others. That's a pretty reasonable request. Even if you had lied and said, "yes, I'm going to contact CCC to double check with them" then people would leave you alone. Your own butt hurt is what brings the continued remarks.

Politically Correct Ball · · From WA to AZ · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 5

We'd joke in Oregon about using bleach. I don't think any of us did. 

Usually we just call it "stealth moss" (after the rubber) and just climb on it. Complainers are called pussies and routes end up cleaning themselves. Routes that get cleaned but don't get climbed on quickly become un-cleaned.

Christie Sterner · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2020 · Points: 0

Rinse the treated area with a garden hose and then apply a solution of water and oxygen bleach to remove the mold. 

Cherokee Nunes · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2015 · Points: 0

Consider not removing anything. What gives you the right? Would you clear cut trees to get to the base of this new crag? If not why would you clear anything? (yes yes, PNW, moss world, yada yada)

Petey Gil-Montllor · · Brooklyn NY · Joined Mar 2013 · Points: 1

The only ethically approved method for removing lichen is to nibble at it while on lead. In extreme circumstances when there is no other option it is also considered acceptable to press your face against the rock and sweep the lichen into your mouth. 

Jesse Martin · · Charlotte, NC · Joined Feb 2020 · Points: 21
Petey Gil-Montllor wrote:

The only ethically approved method for removing lichen is to nibble at it while on lead. In extreme circumstances when there is no other option it is also considered acceptable to press your face against the rock and sweep the lichen into your mouth. 

Is bringing a goat along to eat the moss considered aid? Asking for a friend.

Ward Smith · · Wendell MA/Wentworth NH · Joined Oct 2020 · Points: 26

Wire brush with a scraper, the yellow plastic ones they sell at true value hardware stores work great, but get the big thick one, not the thin ones..  The scraper is essential to get the nubs of the lichen off.  Best done in really dry conditions.  Moss is often easier to remove when wet, but as others have said it will probably grow back.

Of course only do this if it is acceptable at the area, and especially be low profile if near hiking trails and other climbers.  Everyone loves sausage, but nobody wants to see how it is made. 

Michael Brady · · Wenatchee, WA · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 1,362
Ward Smith wrote:

Wire brush with a scraper, the yellow plastic ones they sell at true value hardware stores work great, but get the big thick one, not the thin ones..  The scraper is essential to get the nubs of the lichen off.  Best done in really dry conditions.  Moss is often easier to remove when wet, but as others have said it will probably grow back.

Of course only do this if it is acceptable at the area, and especially be low profile if near hiking trails and other climbers.  Everyone loves sausage, but nobody wants to see how it is made. 

Grout brush is just as effective with none of the potential harm

bernard wolfe · · birmingham, al · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 265

Wire brush and a small spray bottle of ammonia.  Advise prejudicial use of the ammonia, just enough to get the hand/foothold-size surface clean.  With good judgement, it is possible to discretely clean the stone surface and not impose widespread or unnecessary alteration of the stone or environment.  If the areas in question require what would be large quantities of ammonia application, good judgement would indicate that the level of impact cleaning would require is detrimental to the environment, undesirable, and attempting to remove the lichen or moss is not advised. 

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65

So, did the OP do this cleaning after he asked the question 3 years ago?

Lee Chandler · · Phoenix · Joined Dec 2018 · Points: 545

I think some of the people on here got a little sensitive because lichen and moss can be fungi’s to hang around with sometimes...

Old lady H · · Boise, ID · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 1,374
Christie Sterner wrote:

Rinse the treated area with a garden hose and then apply a solution of water and oxygen bleach to remove the mold. 

No one noticed this is what resurrected the thread? A single post poster?? Bad advice, and for the wrong type of wall, lol???!?

More importantly, isn't a perpetually wet bit a potential ice climb? That seems way more important! ;-)

Its  critical to also  put an anti  mold  additive in the paint . If you  bleach the wall to  mitigate the mold you  need to  rinse it very well and be  certain that all the bleach is washed off otherwise the  new  paint will not adhere  properly.  If  interior  running  de humidifier  before repainting  is  advised.  

june m · · elmore, vt · Joined Jun 2011 · Points: 110
Nick Goldsmith wrote:

Its  critical to also  put an anti  mold  additive in the paint . If you  bleach the wall to  mitigate the mold you  need to  rinse it very well and be  certain that all the bleach is washed off otherwise the  new  paint will not adhere  properly.  If  interior  running  de humidifier  before repainting  is  advised.  

Wrong  kind  of wall Nick.

its a joke ;)

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Advice for best way to remove lichen and moss"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started