Climbing in or around Petersburg, Alaska?

Original Post
Danny Beatty · · Cullowhee, NC · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 0

This is kind of a long shot but does anyone have any info on any climbing in or around Petersburg, Alaska area? I will be living in the area for an internship this summer and am curious as to what's available. The only thing I'm seeing is expedition/alpine climbing in the Stikine Ice Cap, i.e. Devils Thumb, which is kind of out of the question. Just looking for cragging opportunities, maybe some weekend trips that are accessible via boat/plane. Juneau area maybe? Any info would be much appreciated!  

Alex Jahn · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 0

Hey Danny, We do have a little crag with about 3 routes (more if you get creative). We are lucky to have the fun little climbs because most of the rock in SE Alaska is quite chossy. The spot is located on the opposite side of the island from town, but I'll definitely be headed out there this summer when the weather is nice. Hit me up when you get to town and I can take you out there. Welcome to Petersburg! 

Danny Beatty · · Cullowhee, NC · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 0

Awesome! Good to hear that their is some climbs on the island. I understand that their might not be much available but it'd be good to get out at least a bit this summer when it's dry. I'll definitely hit you up sometime this summer! 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply