Mountain Project Logo

Virginia/North Carolina Eastern Shores climbing? What's furthest East

Original Post
Mikey Anderson · · PA · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 202

This is a stretch. I'm moving to Chincoteague Island for the summer, the Delmarva peninsula.  I'm wondering if anybody has any idea what the closest rocks would be. I'll put my ear to some boulders if you know of them but I prefer to get high on some rocks. I'm thinking I'm not going to find anything closer than 4-5 hours with that damn Chesapeake in the way. I see the closest place may be a gym in Virginia Beach. Whoo. Lame, but it's something. Next would be maybe, Buzzard Rocks/Elizabeth Furnace or the city climbing in Richmond. Old Rag/Shenandoah is 4h40m at best.

Any help/teasers would be appreciated. I don't know much about the areas. Seems like I'm within good reach of many states but not many crags. Maryland, Delaware, North Carolina, Virginia.

Hamish Hamish · · Fredericksburg, VA · Joined May 2017 · Points: 15

Check out Great Falls or Carderock, both outside of D.C... I've never been to the latter but got some fun climbing in at Great Falls back in the day, plus it's right on the Potomac and the scenery is great!

Heavy on the J · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 0

The North Carolina crags may be further away than you're hoping for, but include some fantastic climbing. Moore's Wall looks to be just under 7 hours. There are other crags in the same area, but Moore's will be your best bet for summertime climbing. On the other hand, if you're willing to drive 7 hours to Moore's, might as well drive 7.5 to the New River Gorge.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Southern States
Post a Reply to "Virginia/North Carolina Eastern Shores climbing…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started