Mountain Project Logo

Eastern Shore Delmarva

Original Post
Mikey Anderson · · PA · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 202

This is a stretch. I'm moving to Chincoteague Island for the summer, the Delmarva peninsula.  I'm wondering if anybody has any idea what the closest rocks would be. I'll put my ear to some boulders if you know of them but I prefer to get high on some rocks. I'm thinking I'm not going to find anything closer than 4-5 hours with that damn Chesapeake in the way. I see the closest place may be a gym in Virginia Beach. Whoo. Lame, but it's something. Next would be maybe, Buzzard Rocks/Elizabeth Furnace or the city climbing in Richmond. Old Rag/Shenandoah is 4h40m at best.

Any help/teasers would be appreciated. I don't know much about the areas. Seems like I'm within good reach of many states but not many crags. Maryland, Delaware, North Carolina, Virginia.

Thanks, my fears are confirmed.

rgold · · Poughkeepsie, NY · Joined Feb 2008 · Points: 526

Take up boardsailing.  Tom's Cove is nice.

rgold wrote:

Thanks, certainly thinking about biding my time on the water witha new sport somehow. Plus I'm remaining optimistic to find something seaside.

tradjunkie · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2011 · Points: 0

You won't find anything seaside. It's a matter of geology. Basically everything in the area is sand/sediment. You won't even find knee-high boulders left by glaciers, too far south for that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_Seaboard_fall_line

Carderock/Great Falls, for example, is on the fall line. Richmond bouldering too. They're the nearest spots you'll find any solid rock. You're looking at 3 1/2 hours to either, I think.

Think of it as a chance to enjoy a seaside summer when it's too hot to climb. It's only for a couple of months anyway.

M Mobley · · Bar Harbor, ME · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 911
rgold wrote:

Sail, surf and fish. When in Rome...

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northeastern States
Post a Reply to "Eastern Shore Delmarva"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started