Mountain Project Logo

How is Yosemite nowadays?

Original Post
Cameron Jacobs · · Santa Clarita, CA · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 245

Are the dirtbags still around? Can you hitch a ride around the valley? Is it friendly? Can you learn climbing skills from people around the valley? Can you find a climbing partner by wandering around camp 4? Can you see all the sights if you only have a bike? I'm making my first trip up there and will be around for two months in the summer working for the youth conservation corps and I have no idea what to expect!!! Is it climbing heaven??

keygonzo · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 10

Last time I was on the valley floor was on a bike. Much easier to get around on than a car

C Brooks · · Fresno, CA · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 546

The valley is pretty small - its easy to get around on a bike+bus. There are lots of climbers at least until it gets too hot. its FULL of tourists and unbelievably crowded. Its beautiful. You'll have no problem finding people to climb with. You'll have fun -- I'm sure of that. 

Andy Novak · · Golden, Co · Joined Aug 2007 · Points: 355

Yer gonna die

kevin deweese · · Oakland, Ca · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 350

The dirtbags are far and few now and the ones that are there are primarily trust fund dirt bags. During high wall season they're in a bit higher quantities. Most hahgbat el cap meadow or the bridge with Tom. With him gone who knows what this summer will be? Off season the valley is a ghost town during the week. Hitching does work but it ain't quick; mostly tourons staring at you like you're the unibomber. Climbers are nice but reek of the gym culture and climb like it too. 

Overall its like anywhere, some individuals will have an awesome experience but most will comment that it ain't what it used to be (because nowhere ever is)

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply