Mountain Project Logo

Experience with Grivel Ascender/Descender?

Original Post
Robin S · · Durango, CO · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 41
Ryan Hamilton · · Orem · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 5
Kevin Beadle · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 0

I use this ascender professionally for rope access work. I like it. The handle is comfortable. I like how large the connector holes are . rappelling on it is wired and I don't use it for that application. However it's an ok back up if you were to drop your descending device and are not used to rappelling with an munter hitch. I also have the petzl ascender. Both are high quality. I'd choose the one that's on sale. 

Kevin Beadle wrote:

I use this ascender professionally for rope access work. I like it. The handle is comfortable. I like how large the connector holes are . rappelling on it is wired and I don't use it for that application. However it's an ok back up if you were to drop your descending device and are not used to rappelling with an munter hitch. I also have the petzl ascender. Both are high quality. I'd choose the one that's on sale. 

This is a tad confusing. I don't know how you would rappel with ascenders. Other than just opening them up and slowly descending a rope, but that's only done for short sections as needed, not to descend an entire length of rope. I think it can be assumed that anyone looking at ascenders is using them only to go up, not to go down. 

Jack C · · Green River, UT · Joined Mar 2013 · Points: 325
Ryan Hamilton wrote:

This is a tad confusing. I don't know how you would rappel with ascenders. Other than just opening them up and slowly descending a rope, but that's only done for short sections as needed, not to descend an entire length of rope. I think it can be assumed that anyone looking at ascenders is using them only to go up, not to go down. 

See the little hole in the vertical part of the ascender that isn't the grip? You just thread the rope through that as you would through one side of an ATC, basically, to use it as an emergency rap device.

Jack C. wrote:

See the little hole in the vertical part of the ascender that isn't the grip? You just thread the rope through that as you would through one side of an ATC, basically, to use it as an emergency rap device.

Ah, got it. I've never seen an ascender with that feature. Could come in handy in an emergency, but I'd probably still just us a munter. 

Jim Titt · · Germany · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 490
Ryan Hamilton wrote:

It´s designed for plodding up and down fixed ropes in the Himalayas, not rapping El Cap.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Experience with Grivel Ascender/Descender?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started