Cheapo eBay Aluminum Crampons (or microspikes or axes) direct from China

Original Post
jaredj · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2013 · Points: 165

Anyone have direct personal experience with aluminum strap-on crampons on eBay available directly from China for the $50 ballpark range including shipping?  I realize that purchasing in this fashion for a lower price foregoes some of the benefits of going direct to a reputable dealer (e.g. recourse for warranty, not incenting the R&D work of actual climbing companies whose designs these are cribbed off of, I'm gonna die, etc) and am not interested in debating the practical and ethical issues therein - there's bike forums with > 10k posts about similar stuff ("china carbon" frames and rims).  

These dealers look to be selling other stuff (such as microspike - style traction devices and basic ice axes).   If you've got a story good or bad about this stuff, I'd like to hear it since I enjoy making decisions based on self-reported anecdotes.

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 2,740

I once got some microspikes that were essentially Chinese-made clones of Kahtoola's.  It concerned me a bit that they were one size only (Kahtoola has several sizes).  But they were CHEAP.  When they arrived it was clear that the only people who might be able to use them were ladies who had their feet bound into cripplingly small shoes (in the ancient tradition).  They were MAYBE a child's medium.  I got rid of them without ever using them.  Waste of money.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply