Bishop Trip

Original Post
Dennis Guenther · · Mesa, Arizona · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 0

Hey guys! My buddy and myself are making our first trip out to Bishop for some bouldering at the buttermilks and sport climbing at the gorge. If anyone's interested in partnering up with us feel free to comment or send me a message! We will be down there April 20-23.

Guy Keesee · · Moorpark, CA · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 105

Dennis.....  You might wish to put this in the Southern California section. At this time of the year one can't really drive from Northern California to Bishop in less than like 10 hours.

Bishop is the most northern suburb of Los Angles, and the ORG is really a part of Los Angles City.

Have fun

Fat Dad · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 5

If there's two of you, why do you need to partner up with anyone?  Also, if you're hitting the Milks, you'll meet lots of folks, especially around the Birthday Boulders or Hero Roof/Ironman area.  I was just up there a couple of weeks ago and conditions were great.  Climbing aside, one of the best diversions was visiting Manzanar on the way back to LA.  Educational, historical and poignant.  Have fun.  

old5ten · · Berkeley + Sunny Slopes, CA · Joined Sep 2012 · Points: 898

just a quick note on that norcal thing.  i (and a few others i know) frequently drive from the bay area to the eastside (in my case tom's place) oab.  in the winter it's mostly over echo/luther/gardnerville or monitor.  sometimes over carson.  fastest time ever was late fall last year, eastside to bay area around 5 hours flat (monitor/luther/50), which is faster than 120/108 during the summer.  yesterday, over gardnerville (and not hammering) was around 6 hours flat.  

there's no doubt that traffic in the bay area or ski traffic/snow on 50 can easily turn this into a 9 hour drive (the longest it's ever taken me and that was coming back over gardnerville/luther/incline/80), but it's a real stretch to say that one can't drive to the eastside in less than 10 hours...  

Guy Keesee · · Moorpark, CA · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 105
old5ten wrote:

just a quick note on that norcal thing.  i (and a few others i know) frequently drive from the bay area to the eastside (in my case tom's place) oab.  in the winter it's mostly over echo/luther/gardnerville or monitor.  sometimes over carson.  fastest time ever was late fall last year, eastside to bay area around 5 hours flat (monitor/luther/50), which is faster than 120/108 during the summer.  yesterday, over gardnerville (and not hammering) was around 6 hours flat.  

there's no doubt that traffic in the bay area or ski traffic/snow on 50 can easily turn this into a 9 hour drive (the longest it's ever taken me and that was coming back over gardnerville/luther/incline/80), but it's a real stretch to say that one can't drive to the eastside in less than 10 hours...  

old5ten.....   OK, I was wrong on that one. Its a 8-9 hour drive in the winter. Or maybe 6 hrs flat, if the gods are willing, and your right foot is heavy. 

My only real experience with this was Bishop to YV during a winter snow storm, in a 68 VW Bus..... took almost 16 hrs. 

Happy Climbing and Driving

old5ten · · Berkeley + Sunny Slopes, CA · Joined Sep 2012 · Points: 898

... actually, in my experience it's been 5 hours flat with the heavy foot and gods (chp) willing.  6 hours give or take a little with no substantial traffic and good conditions.  around 7 hours give or take with some traffic and/or poor conditions.  i've hit 8 hours maybe a couple of times this winter, in storms with traffic.  hit 9 hours only once, as mentioned above...

David S. · · San Francisco, CA · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 10
old5ten wrote:

... actually, in my experience it's been 5 hours flat with the heavy foot and gods (chp) willing.  6 hours give or take a little with no substantial traffic and good conditions.  around 7 hours give or take with some traffic and/or poor conditions.  i've hit 8 hours maybe a couple of times this winter, in storms with traffic.  hit 9 hours only once, as mentioned above...

I did Bishop to SF through Gardnerville in 8 hours in a snow storm (one of the ones that hit at the end of February). Even in winter 8 hours seems like the upper limit to me. The worst part, honestly, was hitting the endless line of traffic upon merging with US 50 near S Lake Tahoe; but, you get to cut in right before Echo Summit, so it's not even that bad.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply