Mountain Project Logo

What is the Climb 200 Feet Uphill (Left) of Olive Oil in Red Rocks...

Original Post
Joe Antol · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 10

My wife and I accidently did the first pitch of the picture below. As it turns out we were about 200 or so feet uphill from the actual start of OO. The climbing was in the 6 range. After exactly 35m I came to some new cordelette slung around a rock outcropping/large chickenhead. Twenty feet to my right was a ledge in an alcove with a two bolt anchor. We bailed as the P2 description of OO didn't match what we saw above. Does anyone have any idea what we were on? I can't figure it out from either the guidebook nor M/P. Given the anchor I'm betting we're not the first to make this mistake... 

Nicholas Gillman · · Las Vegas · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 331

Juniper is not really my jam as far as in depth knowledge of the area goes ....but it sounds like you might have been on 

https://www.mountainproject.com/v/one-armed-bandit/107434442

Joe Antol · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 10

Thanks for chiming in, but it's definitely not One Armed Bandit.  Neither the photo for the start nor for the second pitch look anything like what I saw.

Matt Kuehl · · Las Vegas · Joined Nov 2010 · Points: 1,540

It sounds like just some miscellaneous corner that someone climbed much like yourself and isn't really much of a line itself. Not to say it isn't fun, but probably not a named route.  If anything it probably leads into One Armed Bandit up higher like most of the stuff to the left of Olive Oil. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply