Eastern Sierra local guidebooks??

Original Post
Boissal · · Small Lake, UT · Joined Aug 2006 · Points: 1,300

I'm planning a mid-June trip to ski a bunch of stuff off Tioga road this year and since I have 10 days I think it would be nice to mix things up and climb some classic granite. Any guidebook recommendations for the area? I googled and found a bunch of stuff but as usual, local recommendation would be better. I find planning base on the Proj only to be pretty challenging and the guidebook helps pass time on the drive. Thoughts from the collective?? Seems like the 2014 Mammoth Area Rock Climbs and maybe the Owen's river + Bishop areas would cover all my options?

C Brooks · · Fresno, CA · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 546

There is of course the Supertopo books - High Sierra and Tuolumne Free Climbs

The new Croft book - The Good, the great the awesome - 2nd edition

The comprehensive (i.e. minimal description) - but will get you on "off the beaten path" peaks - is The High Sierra - Peaks, Passes, Trails, 3rd Ed. by Secor

Older books

-Sierra Classics: 100 Best Climbs in the High Sierra

-Climbing California's High Sierra, 2nd: The Classic Climbs on Rock and Ice 

jayhofman · · Bishop · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 10

Mammoth Area Rock Climbs, Marty Lewis.  Covers Tioga Pass, June area as well.

C Brooks · · Fresno, CA · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 546

I was thinking alpine -- there is also (further south than Tioga)

Bishop Area Rock climbs, 

Owens River Gorge Climbs

If you get a chance, Wilson's East Side Sports in Bishop has an excellent collection of guidebooks

Mike Womack · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Mar 2014 · Points: 1,486

I have this one:   http://maximuspress.com/shop/proddetail.php?prod=BARC and it's great for round valley, Alabama hills, bishop area, so on.  Not the prettiest guidebook, but inclusive and straight forward.  

Mike Mellenthin · · San Francisco, CA · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 70

It's worth noting that the last time we had a big winter (2010 - 2011) Tioga didn't open until mid June.

If it were me though I'd buy the Supertopo High Sierra book. It has enough of the TM classics in it (Conness, Cathedral Peak, Third Pillar of Dana, Tenaya) to cover a short trip, as well as a lot of Sierra stuff.  Tioga Cliff is also worth checking out, but don't buy the Mammoth book just to get the topo.

I haven't seen the new version of The Good, The Great, and The Awesome, but the original is my all time favorite guidebook. It won't tell you much that will be useful in a 10 day span that Supertopo won't but Peter Croft's stoke is all time and I've read the thing cover to cover.

EDIT: The Mammoth + Owens + Bishop Area books will cover everything not in the high country.

Boissal · · Small Lake, UT · Joined Aug 2006 · Points: 1,300

Thanks guys, looks like between Mammoth area & Bishop area I should have about 30 lifetimes worth of rock to pick from. On top of the skiing...

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply