Mountain Project Logo

Medical Training Certification WFR / WEMT

Original Post
Peter M · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 0

Hey guys, i been wondering about furthering my education and certifications for outdoors/ mountaineering. I have been a EMT for a little while now and in July im signed up for the wilderness module to become a WEMT. I know a lot of people get the WFR, and the WEMT is a step further in training. But my question is, does anyone know any more courses to take it a step further maybe into High Altitude Training? specificity dealing with HAPE and HACE. 

I my end goal is to become more well rounded so more climbing parterns would want me to come on a trip or exipedtion and become more of a value to a team.

So if anyone knows any training they would like a team member to have to go on bigger alpine climbs i would love to know. 

I havent looked into mountaineering classes yet either, ive only done basic repelling, belaying, lead climbing, and anchor systems so far. So i still need to do some more classes and i wouldnt mind recommendations for that as well. Or if just learning from a veteran climber is a good enough apporach haha.

Thanks guys

Brandon.Phillips · · Portola, CA · Joined May 2011 · Points: 55

https://awls.org/

https://wms.org/

WMS offers all kinds of different stuff, and has access to plenty of good articles and resources. They even offer a diploma in mountain medicine. WEMT is the best place to start though, and then look specifically into High Altitude stuff from there.  There is plenty of education to get on it, but the limitation will always be resources - the main field treatment always being to descend.

For WEMT stick to well known organizations: WMI, WMA, SOLO, AERIE.  Unfortunately everyone is trying to get in on the Wilderness Medicine train these days, and there are classes out there (probably less likely at the WEMT level, but definitely at the WFR/WFA level) that are not up to industry standards.  

I had a friend apply for a guiding job a couple of years ago and she was told to "come back when you get a real WFR"

Alexander K · · The road · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 130

Get your WFR, its way more useful than an EMT (at least I found it to be). From there I wouldn't worry about other classes or certifications. Focus on becoming a crusher in the mountains. If you have endless cardio endurance, get comfortable mixed climbing on rock covered with loose snow with 100 mph winds and temps below zero, and enjoy leading 5.10 R/X trad then you'll be a much more valuable part of any team. I know it sucks to hear that real world experience is the most important thing but it truly is. Less courses, more getting out in the mountains. Once you deal with a few cases of HAPE/HACE you will be much more prepared than what any course would give you.

Alexander K wrote:

Get your WFR, its way more useful than an EMT 

If you are already and EMT, Wilderness Module is fine.  I would agree that for most people, a WFR is all you will ever need.

Thanks for your input, and from what i understand though a WEMT will have all the same training plus more thats in the WFR. but i agree with out the wilderness module a EMT doesnt help nearly as much. And also good to know just to get out and start climbing!

And yeah im getting my WEMT threw SOLO so im glad to hear it has a decent reputation. 

Brandon.Phillips wrote:

https://awls.org/

https://wms.org/

WMS offers all kinds of different stuff, and has access to plenty of good articles and resources. They even offer a diploma in mountain medicine. WEMT is the best place to start though, and then look specifically into High Altitude stuff from there.  There is plenty of education to get on it, but the limitation will always be resources - the main field treatment always being to descend.

For WEMT stick to well known organizations: WMS, WMA, SOLO, AERIE.  Unfortunately everyone is trying to get in on the Wilderness Medicine train these days, and there are classes out there (probably less likely at the WEMT level, but definitely at the WFR/WFA level) that are not up to industry standards.  

I had a friend apply for a guiding job a couple of years ago and she was told to "come back when you get a real WFR"

Those websites were exactly what i was looking for! thank you, i somehow missed it the first time i read over it

WMI should be on that list. I thought I typed it out. WMS does fellowships and other stuff, I don't think they have actually have a specific WEMT or WFR program.

the Diploma of Mountain Medicine offer by WMS is exactly what i was looking for. I plan on doing that in the future for sure. Pretty exspensive, and not at the top of my list  right now though with the feed back of a WEMT is enough. I think ill take the money now and put it into trips and expeditions. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply