What is this route? (Duckbill, Rushmore)

Original Post
Nick Thomas · · Fargo, ND · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 30

Was climbing on Duckbill the other day (didn't know what formation it was at the time, didn't have photos synced to my phone), and tried a bolted line up the arete.  The bolts looked decently close together near the bottom so I gave it a shot but after 3 bolts I couldn't find another.  There may have been another hiding behind a bulge, or it may have just run out to the top.  Either way I wasn't going up any higher and had to bail.  Just was wondering if anyone knows of this route, it's name, or grade.  I'm pretty new to Rushmore grades but there were a couple thin moves that felt at least 5.9 (harder than the crux of Trophy on Pronghorn which I'd just climbed).  I found the route "Duckbill, 5.7R" listed on MP which looks like it is on the same arete, but only has one bolt.  Anyone have info on this line?

The route went up the formation on the right, pretty much straight up the arete. (not sure why MP rotated my photo)

• Bump. Anyone have the guidebook, maybe it's in there?
the museum · · Rapid City, SD · Joined Sep 2009 · Points: 130

Nick, we saw someone bolting that either last summer or the summer before. Prob not in the newer guidebook.

the museum

AStezer · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 20

It is called the mallard 9+ R.  It links into original route a bit above where you bailed from.  It is in the Busse guide book.

AStezer wrote:

It is called the mallard 9+ R.  It links into original route a bit above where you bailed from.  It is in the Busse guide book.

Thanks!! The R rating sounds about right.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply