Retracting large Metolius Master Cams w/bent cables

Original Post
ebmudder · · Bronx, NY · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 0

I have a couple of Master Cams (2013 vintage, not ultralights) in the larger sizes where the cables were bent from horizontal placements. I've found that once they've been bent, you can't really fully straighten them again, and when you try to retract the lobes, the stem bends/flexes between the trigger and the thumb loop, so you have to jigger around your hand to get the lobes to retract. Once they start retracting the trigger works fine...it's just initiating the retraction that is problematic. I've cleaned and lubed them with White Lightning, but the Green #6 is especially troublesome.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this, and/or solved the problem (please don't solve my problem with the word "Totem").

cyclestupor · · Woodland Park, Colorado · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 68

Can you post some pictures?

eli poss · · Durango, Co · Joined May 2014 · Points: 136

If you can't find a good solution here, I'd shoot metolius an email and ask them. They might have a solution or they might ask you to send them in for repair. They usually have really awesome customer service and do a great job any time you send back a cam for a resling or trigger wire repair, and they'll even clean and lube your cam for free. OTOH, they might just say that it's the end of the usable lifespan for those cams, especially since they're designed for vertical cracks better than horizontal (metolius recommends using power cams or TCUs for horizontals).

This is one of the reasons why I like to use tri-cams in horizontals, you never have to worry about kinking a cable or trigger wire.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply